The Storm by Dirty_Rose
Summary: A stormy night. James is afraid.
Characters: Dorian, James
Genres: Romance, Short
Warnings: None
Challenges: The James Fic Challenge!
Challenges: The James Fic Challenge!
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1236 Read: 3636 Published: 07/06/2011 Updated: 07/06/2011

1. Chapter 1 by Dirty_Rose

Chapter 1 by Dirty_Rose
Author's Notes:
First attempt at writing something about James... Hope you like it :-)

A lightning tore the dark sky, lighting up the darkness of that stormy night with his white flash. A rumbling thunder followed, and its echo made the windows in Castle Gloria shake dangerously.

James, cuddled up under the blankets, started with fear and gave a little whine, hugging the pillow to his chest, as if it could protect him.

Since he was a child heÕd been afraid of storms: he always feared that a lightning could kill him in his sleep during a stormy night like that one.
And that fear hadnÕt vanished, though heÕd grown up.

Another flash of lightning. James shivered with fear.
Stormy nights like that reminded him of Major Eberbach. They scared him almost as much as the German officer did. Every time he saw a new lightning tearing the darkness of the night, he couldnÕt help thinking about how similar that lightning and the Major were.

In his mind, the Major was the exact personification of a lightning: he was sudden, terrible and merciless like lightning, his voice loud and terrifying like thunder, the fury and strength in his moves were like a wild and indomitable force of nature. Like a storm.

James snorted at that thought. That sadist machine-maniac would surely have been pleased with being compared to the destructive strength of the storm. He probably would have enjoyed that stormy night that terrorized the little accountant so much.

Looking out of the window, as the rain hit the glass and the storm raged, James could almost see how a romantic man like Dorian Red, Earl of Gloria, could love a person like Major Eberbach: contemplating that same storm, the Earl would have surely seen the romantic, passionate, even erotic beauty of the lightning, as heÕd first seen some kind of pulsing heart hidden under the iron armor of that uptight officer; he would have noticed the perfection of the lightning, the fascination of its wild and supreme power, which no one would have ever managed to trap and control; and he, as always, would have thought of his beloved Major.

Only when contemplating violent storms James could see what king of sadistic, masochist love the Earl felt for the Major, but he just couldnÕt understand it. Why? He asked to himself, half enraged, half in despair. Why is he in love with such a monster? He should love someone who could love him back, not a rude man who doesnÕt recognizes him as the treasure he really is.

A tear rolled down his cheek. He loved the Earl, loved him blindly, with all his heart; he loved him even more than he loved money. But the Earl didnÕt seem to notice. He teased him, promised him things, acted good to him, but in the very bottom of his soul James knew he was just pretending. Lord Gloria didnÕt love him, and that was because in his mind and heart there was only place for that Major Eberbach.

A thunder, stronger than the others, followed and it seemed as if the whole castle was shaking from top to bottom. James let out a little cry and buried his head under the pillow, wishing for the storm to end soon. He wished not to be there all alone, as another tear rolled out of his eyes.

Suddenly he heard a soft knock on the door and he got up from under the blankets.

ÒWhoÕs it?Ó he asked in an alarmed tone.

ÒJamesieÉitÕs me,Ó a soft voice called from outside the room. James immediately recognized who it belonged to, and his eyes grew wide in disbelief.

ÒL-lord Gloria? Is it really you?Ó

He was answered with a melodious, amused laugh. It was a lovely, exquisite sound to JamesÕ ears, and in a moment it melted his heart and chased away the fear heÕd felt because of those terrible thunders. ÒOf course itÕs me! May I come in?Ó

James almost died for happiness. He jumped out of bed and hurried to open the door.
The Earl was as beautiful as ever, his body wrapped in an azure silky tunic and his golden curls hanging on his shoulders.

ÒIsÉis there something wrong, milord?Ó he asked. He thought that his whines had disturbed the EarlÕs sleep and was afraid Lord Gloria would have been mad at him.

To his surprise and joy, the Earl smiled sweetly. ÒNo, no, dear! I just feel a bit lonely tonightÉ plus, with this terrible storm I canÕt sleep well andÉÓ he pulled his hair out of his face theatrically, then added ÒÉwould you like to keep me company?Ó

By then James wasnÕt sure heÕd heard correctly. He couldnÕt believe his luck when, looking up to DorianÕs face he saw that the smile was still on his lips; and it was a bright, reassuring smile, a smile all for him and nobody else. He isnÕt thinking about the Major then!

ÒIÉmilord, IÉ yes! Yes! Come in!Ó His voice was excited and ridiculously high as he spoke frenetically, tugging DorianÕs hand to lead him into the small bedroom.

Dorian laughed, a bit amused by the little accountantÕs enthusiasm. ÒWhy donÕt you come to my bedroom instead? IÕve got a bigger, warmer bed, weÕll be more comfortable there.Ó

James couldnÕt believe that was happening for real. ÒOh, yes!Ó he practically screamed. ÒMilord, IÕd be pleased toÉyes!Ó IÕll spend the night in the same bed with him!
That was actually nothing compared to what could have been done in bed with a man like Eroica, but to James even that simple gesture, the fact that the Earl had invited him into his bedroom, was more than heÕd ever hoped. He felt like dying right then and there when the Earl took his hand and led him to his bedroom.

Once they walked in, Dorian lay on the mattress and slid gracefully under the blankets. James didnÕt know if he was still able to move when Dorian gestured to him to come nearer. He took a few, slow, insecure steps forward: that still felt too much like a dream and he didnÕt want to make it vanish so suddenly.

When he came to stand by the bed, Dorian tugged his hand, making him sit on the mattress. ÒCome in. Join me.Ó James gave a small cry of delight and did as he was told. Once he got under the blankets he felt DorianÕs arms wrapping around him, holding him gently.

ÒHere,Ó he said lovingly, petting the little accountantÕs hair. ÒDonÕt be afraidÉÓ

Ò ÔM not afraidÉÓ James murmured, hugging the Earl back. ÒÉNot when youÕre by my sideÉmilordÉÓ. He snuggled even closer, resting his face against DorianÕs chest. Hearing DorianÕs heart beating steadily, feeling the heat of his body against his own was like heaven to James. He closed his eyes and sighed in delight.

ÒSleep well, JamesieÓ he heard the EarlÕs voice whisper. ÒI love you.Ó

ÒLove you, tooÉÓ

Outside, the storm was still raging, but by then James wasnÕt scared anymore. All his fears melted and he drifted in a peaceful sleep, sweetly sinking in the inviting, warm embrace of the man he loved more than his life.

This story archived at http://www.fried-potatoes.com/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=304