- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WIP (7/3/2006)
"NO!" The major's booming voice reverberated through the room at an almost panicked pitch. "Let G go! This is exactly the sort of thing that we have him for!"

The chief sat in his high-backed chair, completely unphased by Major Eberbach's protests. They had bantered back and forth, swapping insults and their less than professional opinions about each other's parentage until finally the chief had had enough. He was in charge of the division, and it was high time the major learned that fact. Perhaps he was more gleeful about handing this assignment over to Major Eberbach than he should have been, but there were no rules against enjoying your work. There were rules, however, about talking back to and refusing orders from a superior officer.

"I don't particularly care in what fashion you choose to go to this party, Major. I leave that decision completely up to you." The chief folded his hands together on his desk, remembering what his heart doctor had said about blood pressure and yelling. "You will be there, you will have backup along with you in the form of a date, and you will secure the microfilm and documents stated in your mission brief. And that's an order."The chief was glad that Major Eberbach's fuming had reached a level where he could only sputter, red-faced. It allowed him to proceed uninterrupted. "Now. Owing to the nature of this event, you have several 'alternative' styles to select from; pick whichever you are most comfortable with. But you don't have much time before our window of opportunity closes, so I suggest very strongly that you find someone to give you a crash course in being queer."

*****

James gave a timid knock before entering, that was Dorian's first clue that something was amiss. Even when told he could enter, the small accountant continued to hide behind the door. "What is it, Jamesie? The books not balancing correctly?" It was always something with that man, and something usually turned out to be nothing. James was capable of working himself up into a frenzy over the least consequential details.

Brown curls bobbed side to side as he shook his head. "It's him. He's on the line for you!" Just saying the words, James looked almost as mortified as if the major were right there in the room with them.

For it had to be the major - no one but he could make his beloved James quiver quite so endearingly. "Did he say what he wants, or is this just a social call?"

"He says he has a JOB for us!" A wail that threatened to break loose was just barely held in check.

Blue eyes snapped up at those words, shocked by the news. "He couldn't possibly. After last time? After Italy, they really want me back?" And was there any possible way that he could top kidnapping a pope if they did? They, because there wasn't the slightest hope that Klaus had requested him.

Still slightly shocked, Dorian set aside the piece that he had been appraising for "resale" in order to take this unprecedented call. Lifting the ivory receiver from its cradle, he said soothingly, "You can go hang up the other line, Jamesie."

Even though the major was unable to see him, Dorian straightening the front of his shirt and made certain that his hair was in order before raising the phone to his ear. He refused to do battle without being at his very best. "Darling! How good of you to ring me. By strange coincidence, I was just thinking how nice it would be to hear your voice."

While a complete lie, Klaus' reaction would help him gauge how serious the offer of a contract was. And if the lengthy pause from the other end was any indication, the situation was indeed a grave one. Iron Klaus was reigning in his temper!

"I..."

"You?" Dorian toyed with a lock of golden hair, thoroughly amused by the situation. For this much amusement, he might even consider giving NATO a discount rate for his services. Should he be willing to accept the job.

"...you."

Dorian squinted at the receiver in his hand. From start to finish, Major Eberbach seemed to have omitted the very essential middle bits that made for effective communication. The portion where he gave Dorian at least half a clue about what was going on. "Major, I am many things, but I'm afraid that I'm not a mind reader. Jamesie says that you have need of my particular talents?"

"I n-need you."

"Yes, darling. You need me; I get paid. That's typically how business works." Oh, to be able to see the major's face! Klaus was surely the picture of humiliation by this point. Then again, if they were in person, he probably would have been slugged by now for his cheek if not merely on principle. "What can I do for you?"

"Need you to... teach me..." That was all Klaus managed to get out before a frustrated whimper had Dorian on the edge of his seat.

The phone cord was wrapped and unwrapped about his index finger as Dorian waited as patiently as possible for the major to finish. "Teach you...?"

"How to be gay."

"Darling, that's not funny."

"Do you hear me fucking laughing?!" The words were snarled at him with such raw, heart-felt emotion that Dorian couldn't question the man's sincerity.

His motives were something completely different. "Major! This- I- You're gay?"

"No!!"

That helped to turn his world right-side up once more, even if it were a pity. Klaus Heinz von dem Eberbach would have made one hell of a fabulous fag. However, it also begged the question, "Then why do you need my help?"

"Can't tell you over an unsecured line."

It was clearly taking all of his patience to remain civil, so Dorian didn't press him despite a burning itch to find out more. When his request wasn't met with taunts or lewd responses, Klaus found himself able to continue. "Could you- Could you come here? To talk about it?"

"I don't know, Darling... I'm rather busy." Even if he had had no intentions of accepting the job, there was no way in hell that anything could have kept him out of Germany with such an invitation on his platter. "But I tell you what. How about I hop over - for a slight consultation fee, of course - and you can tell me all about the job then. If we can come to a peaceable arrangement, then your lads and James can draw up the work order for NATO. How's that sound?"

Lord Gloria was being so damned reasonable. Even though a part of him had wanted Dorian to be ill-behaved so that he could rail at him and call the entire thing off, Klaus was grateful and jumped upon the chance to get off the line. "Fine. I trust you either know or can find out where my apartment in Bonn is?" When the thief murmured an affirmative response, Klaus shuddered. "Be there tomorrow afternoon, or I'll contract someone else."

With that, Dorian found himself listening only to a dial tone.
~tbc~