- Text Size +

Chapter Ten

Mechanic

A person who can expertly manipulate a deck of cards.

*

"I'm not even gonna ask where you got this," Klaus said as he climbed into the helicopter that Bonham appeared with shortly after breakfast. He strapped himself into the co-pilot seat, Agents J and K along with John Paul and Jones climbing into the back and strapping in. Agents L and M remained behind to oversee the preparations and insure that no one decided to go back on their word. The Major reasoned he would be able to determine exactly how many men needed to be ferried over once he saw the submarine. He would need at least enough to get it back to England.

Bonham had an uncharacteristically superior expression on his face. "I'll tell you anyway," he grinned. "I got it from NATO. As far as they're concerned, Major, you are still Agent Marshall."

Klaus had to fight not to laugh. Then a sudden thought struck him and his eyes grew wide. "You did check this thing over, I hope. I don't wanna end up in the Channel in pieces."

"Jones and I checked her from stem to stern, Major. Didn't we, Jonesy?" Bonham called.

"Clean as a whistle," Jones replied from the back. He looked over at his twin brother and grinned. "I have to look after my kid brother."

"I'll kid brother you!" John Paul snorted as he finished strapping into his seat. He was younger by a whole two minutes. "Old coot!"

Bonham ignored this all too familiar argument from the Jones boys. During breakfast, Klaus had learned that while John Paul was an SIS supplied thief, this brother was not. In fact, the only reason Jones was a member of the gang at all was because of his brother. He had failed to realize his dream as a famous Formula One driver, and ended up as the Earl's wheel man, eventually learning to drive or fly anything Eroica required for a heist.

"Not long after we started hunting for you, Major, his lordship became convinced he'd been given the assignment so you two'd kill each other," Bonham was saying as they lifted off. "Save everyone the trouble."

"Do you doubt that now?" Klaus wanted to know.

"No, sir. I'm beginning to think he suspected a great deal more than he's telling."

* * *

The storage facility on the island turned out to be a renovated fortress. The newer buildings had been constructed in the same style so as not to stand out from above. In fact, the building that housed the Earl's Zeppelin was so well camouflaged, Klaus did not even notice it until after they had landed.

Bonham introduced the Major to the facility's caretakers, who turned out to be a group of retired thieves. They maintained everything in the collection with meticulous care and took great pride in giving the officer a tour. While this was going on, Bonham and Agent J returned to Castle Gloria to shuttle the next group to the island.

Klaus was following behind the most senior caretaker, who had been introduced simply as Mark. "Bonham tells me you keep the sub ready to go at all times," he said in as offhand a manner as possible.

"We keep everything maintained in top working condition," Mark replied. "Even that tank the Earl stole over twenty years ago."

Klaus stopped dead in his tracks upon hearing this. "Tank?" he gasped. Behind him, he heard the Jones boys laugh. He turned to look at them, his eyes wide. "My tank? It's here?"

Eroica's men could not help grinning at the expression on the officer's face. "Yes, Major," came the amused reply. "It's been here the whole time."

Klaus could scarcely contain his excitement. "Show me," he said, waving his hands in the air.

Mark scowled, uncertain what was going on. He led the way to a large warehouse in the center of which sat the Major's missing Leopard tank. The officer strode over to it, examining it from all sides before climbing up and then dropping into the hatch.

"Should he be doing that?" Mark asked nervously.

Jones shot a knowing look back at Agent K, who was watching his superior in unconcealed amusement. Klaus looked like a small child on Christmas morning who had asked for a toy and been given the real thing.

Jones looked at his grinning brother before turning back to Mark. "He's the one Lord Gloria stole it from in the first place," he informed. "Been trying to get it back ever since."

"Oooh, he's that Major." Whatever Mark said after that was drowned out by the tank's engine. Its roar was deafening inside the warehouse and forced everyone to cover their ears. When the turret started to rotate, John Paul leaned over to Mark and shouted, "There're no shells in there, I hope!"

Mark grinned, shaking his head vigorously.

A few seconds later, the Major cut the engine and popped his head out of the hatch. To the astonishment of all present, he was grinning from ear to ear. "Klasse!"

"I didn't think he knew how to smile," Jones said in amazement.

"Nor I," replied K. He received a startled looked from Jones before he burst out laughing.

"Enough of that," Klaus said in as serious a tone as he could manage as he strode back to the others. "We've work to do."

"Just waiting for orders, sir," K replied, unsuccessful in his attempt to wipe the grin off his face.

Mark shifted nervously on his feet. "Does the tank meet with your approval, Major?"

"It does." Klaus threw a glance back at the massive piece of machinery. "I'd like to take it to Langley and use it to--" He broke off as an extraordinary thought struck him. He spun around and looked at the tank, his eyes narrowing. He put a hand to his chin, a thoughtful look passed over his face. "Langley..." he practically whispered. "Why didn't I...?"

"Sir...?" K ventured.

Klaus turned back to the others, who saw Iron Klaus appear for the first time since his arrival in England. "You two see what you can make of the computers we saw upstairs," he said to K and John Paul. "If they're like the ones at Castle Gloria, get them ready for transport. Jones, you're with me." He turned back to Mark. "Let's see what condition that sub is in."

"Yes, sir." K replied.

Jones exchanged a look of mutual bewilderment with the others before he hurried after the officer who was already striding across the warehouse, his heels sounding like gunshots on the concrete floor.

"You don't really think he's seriously considering taking that to Langley, do you?" John Paul asked as he watched the others cross the large room.

"I wouldn't put it past him."

"Neither would I. That's what I'm afraid of." John Paul gave K a steady look and then started to laugh. "But I'd pay real money to see him pull it off."

* * *

Klaus stood at doorway of James' office, waiting for the link with Bali to be established. Behind him, he could hear the bangs and thuds as luggage and cargo was taken outside for transport to the sub. He had stunned everyone when he announced that they were not going to Indonesia as originally planned. The new destination was Langley, Virginia. CIA Headquarters, to be specific. Klaus reasoned he'd never learn anything about Project: Eroica unless he went directly to the source, which meant going to the U.S. It also meant doing it disguised as the Earl of Gloria.

Once Bonham got over the shock, he tried to talk the Major out of this decision. Then Klaus informed him what his men had learned pertaining to the legitimacy, or lack there of, of the operation.

"James' database has the name Gregory Tomlinson as the man in charge of the original operation," Klaus informed. "Is this correct?"

"Yes, Major. Still is," Bonham replied. He cleared his throat before adding, "He'd also very likely be the one who gave the order to kill the Earl."

A dark cloud passed over the Major's face upon hearing this.

"There was a doctor working alongside him at the start," Bonham volunteered. "I'll be damned if I can remember his name. I just remember it was something...er, German sounding and a mile long. He could be the one what did the Earl's...er, Agent Marshall's plastic surgery."

Klaus nodded. Then a sudden thought struck him and his eyes narrowed. "Did you ever meet the real Earl?"

Bonham shook his head. "No, sir. Nor Agent Marshall. Not ‘til he came to England. Tomlinson didn't want us confusing the two." He saw a thoughtful look pass behind the Major's eyes. "Major, just what exactly do you hope to learn in Virginia?"

"I'm not sure," Klaus replied vaguely. "The location of the documentation on Project: Eroica, perhaps."

"If what you say is true about it being an unauthorized Black Ops, I doubt it's in the official archive." A small knowing smile came to the older man's face and he gave the Major a sideways glance. "Just give us a location, Major. The lads'll be more than happy to steal it for you."

At that moment, a call came from across the room that the video link was working and Klaus called back that he would be there directly. He then turned to Bonham. "Perhaps one of the ‘lads' should fly ahead and do a recce of the area," he suggested.

Bonham broke into a broad smile. "I know just who to send." With that, he set off to pull the men in question from the group preparing to board the sub.

* * *

Klaus arrived to find the image of a very worried Agent A on screen. The worried expression changed to one of awe when his superior informed him that the funds they needed for their original operation had been procured. And then some.

Klaus laid out his plans to go to the United States and gave orders for his men to see what they could find out about the man Tomlinson. They were also to see if they could find out the name of the doctor who performed Agent Marshall's plastic surgery, as well as the man's current location.

"Are you putting the other mission on hold, sir?" A asked.

"No. That moves forward as planned," Klaus replied firmly.

"Yes, sir."

"I'll be out of contact until the sub is out to sea. Consider the mission on radio silence until I contact you. You have your orders if there's an emergency."

"Yes, sir. Good luck, sir."

* * *

Klaus watched as the last of the computer equipment was broken down for transport. Craig, who had taken him to his room the night before, suddenly appeared in the doorway. He moved aside as some equipment was carried out before crossing to the Major.

"I understand you're gonna be impersonating the Earl again," Craig said mildly.

"You understand correctly."

Craig opened his hand, revealing a contact lens case. "Then you might want to use these."

Klaus scowled. "Why?"

Craig grinned, opening one side of the case to reveal a bright blue contact lens. "Because these'll change your eye color, Major. Even the Earl doesn't wear sunglasses indoors. And everybody knows about his eyes being that striking blue."

Intrigued, Klaus took the case from the man's hand to give the contents a closer look.

"I was a make-up artist in Hollywood for several years," Craig volunteered proudly. "Even dabbled in some special effects. I used to think that was exciting until I met the Earl."

Klaus looked up, his eyes narrowing. "Are you bringing your..." He waved a hand, searching for the correct term.

"Kit?"

"Yes. Your make-up kit with you?"

Craig grinned. "Just my favorite knick-knacks. There's a full make-up room onboard the sub."

Klaus's eyebrows went up upon hearing this. "Good," he said approvingly. "I think your skills will be very useful in Langley."

"Oh?"

"I have several ideas..."

Craig gave the Major a sideways look. Like many of the other members of the Eroica gang, he had never worked one-on-one with the officer before. He was definitely not the way that he had imagined him. So long as everything ran smoothly, the Major did not so much as raise his voice, which was quite disconcerting given his reputation. Everyone was waiting for the explosion that was long overdue.

"Have you ever worn contacts, Major?"

"No." Klaus put the cap back on the case and handed it back. "You can show me how to put them in on the way."

* * *

Chapter End Notes:

Klasse! = Great!
It is along the same lines as Klaus yelling "Cool!" or "Awesome!" when he reappears. No wonder K is amused.