- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

FanFic 100 prompt: 080 - Why?
Pyramid Dares: Set 2, Level 9 - Park

Part Seven

Walk In The Park

Rescue had happened so quickly that is was still a bit of a blur for the Earl. He later learned that the distress beacon had been picked up almost immediately, their location pinpointed via satellite, and a recovery team dispatched. It turned out that the Major's sense of direction, and his pocket compass, had not let them down. The cabin was at a halfway point on a direct line to the rendezvous. It was also located off a main road, and several vehicles descended one right after the other.

The first team to arrive assessed the Major's condition, calling for a helicopter. By the time the second team arrived, this one made up of the Major's Alphabets, the officer was being airlifted to the nearest military hospital.

Eroica returned to NATO headquarters with the second team, where he turned over the small item he had stolen. It was a microchip of some sort, which was all he knew. He was debriefed, thanked for his part in the mission, paid for his services, and returned to England. He tried numerous times to find out about the Major's condition or his whereabouts. He met a brick wall each time, even from the Alphabet, which led him to believe that even they had no idea about the status of their commanding officer.

While he waited for word on the Major, the Earl did manage to learn exactly where the cabin was located. He arranged to have it cleaned and restocked, returning it to the way it had been when he and the Major took refuge there. Well, perhaps not exactly as it had been. There was the small exception of the book he had been reading, which just happened to be a very rare first edition, and just happened to have made its way into the backpack during the chaotic rescue. Surely the Major wouldn't object to his keeping one souvenir of their stay, not that he planned on telling him.

Then, finally, after nearly a week, he learned that the Major had been released from the hospital and returned to Germany to finish recuperating. It had seemed like an eternity rather than a few days. Then, before he knew it, Dorian found himself climbing the steps to the front door of Schloss Eberbach, fully expecting to be turned away. Instead, he learned that the Major was not even there. He had already returned to work, albeit on limited duty.

Eventually, after a short search, Dorian discovered the Major had taken to walking through a park each afternoon. Until the officer was cleared by his doctors, and had his strength back, he would not be able to do any jogging.

Dorian caught up to him near a fountain and they stood looking at one another for nearly a minute.

"Major..."

The Major nodded, an inscrutable look fixed on his face. "Lord Gloria."

"You look well."

The Major gave another nod.

Dorian waited. And waited. "Don't you have anything to say to me?"

"You don't need me to compliment your looks," the Major said as he crushed out his cigarette.

The Earl threw up his hands, giving a loud, exasperated cry.

"What do you expect me to say?" the Major asked. "Were you expecting me to—"

"Thank me for saving your life?" Dorian completed sharply. "No. I wouldn't expect you to do that."

A pause. "Then why are you here?"

"I wanted to thank you for saving my life."

The Major's eyebrows went up. Dorian gave him a "so-there" look, gave a curt nod, crossed his arms, and sat down on a bench, pointedly not looking at him.

Klaus remained silent during this display, studying the man's set expression. "I see," he said as he pulled out a cigarette and lit it, crossing to where the Earl sat with his back turned towards him.

Dorian gave a small laugh, a hand going to his head. "Why do I bother?"

"I have no idea." Klaus put his foot up on the bench and leaned on his knee. "I thought you'd say it was because you loved me."

The Earl turned sharply to look at him. He was sure the man was mocking him, but he seemed more amused. Then again, the Major did have a very odd sense of humor. "Now you're laughing at me."

"No. I'm trying to understand you."

"Understand me? You?"

"Yes."

"Now I know you're laughing at me."

"No."

Dorian's eyes narrowed. "You're serious?"

Klaus was still leaning on his knee, studying the Earl closely. He nodded, casually taking a drag from his cigarette.

"Is it because I complicated your opinion of me even more?" Dorian asked cautiously.

Klaus blew smoke into the air as he straightened. "You're a self-centered, narcissistic, son-of-a-bitch who thinks the world owes him everything," he began slowly.

"I never claimed to be otherwise..."

"But in all that time we were stranded, you never complained once about having to do everything yourself," Klaus went on, adding, "Nor did you try anything...unseemly."

Dorian's eyes widened and he studied the man's expression. He seemed genuinely bewildered by his behavior. "I was trying to be...professional."

"Professional?"

"Because of the mission," Dorian went on feebly. "And...because we were stranded in the woods..." Christ, now I'm babbling.

The Major's eyes flickered. Then he casually looked around. "We seem to be back in the woods now," he observed.

"So it would appear."

The Major gave the Earl a small smile. "Does that mean you're gonna behave yourself while we're here?"

Dear God, I think he really is serious. Dorian had to fight to stay calm. Not an easy thing with his heart threatening to jump from his chest at any moment. "Oh, well..." He waved a hand in the air. "I suppose I'd better."

"And you can tell me why you decided to start behaving yourself in the first place."

Dorian gave up fighting the smile that came to his face. "Perhaps I will..." he said playfully. "If you ask me nicely..."

The Major rolled his eyes. "Why do I put up with you?"

One day I hope you'll say it's because you love me. Dorian changed position on the bench, leaning back against the Major's leg. "I'm sure I have no idea," he said with a sigh, a tranquil expression coming to his face when the Major did not pull away. "Why don't you tell me?"

The Major stood perfectly still as the Earl settled back and closed his eyes. His eyes flickered before he said, "Perhaps I will..."

- END -

Chapter End Notes:
Aoike's artwork that I used at the conclusion of the story has always been a mystery. I wanted to do my own spin on the events leading to it.