- Text Size +

Chapter Seven
First Stop, Milan

It turned out that stealing the first bowl was extremely easy. The building was still under construction, many of the displays having yet to be unpacked. K-9 disabled what few security alarms there were and Jason and Eroica entered without incident. The problem was actually finding the box the bowl was packed in.

“We could be here all night opening boxes,” Eroica observed, taking in the contents of the first room.

Jason gave a wry smile. “Maybe not.” He went back to the door, calling for K-9.

“Young Master,” K-9 chirped as he trundled in the door.

“K-9, scan the room. See if you can locate the box with the same radioactive signature as the bowls in the TARDIS.”

“Scanning.”

Eroica nodded approvingly. “I could use a dog like you, K-9.”

“Don’t even think about stealing him,” Jason replied jokingly. He pulled open a box and looked inside, scowling as he did so. “I thought you said this guy collected pottery.”

“The finest in Italy,” Eroica confirmed.

“Then what’s he doing with an ion generator?”

“A what?” The thief crossed to him and looked in the box. “Well, I know nothing about machines, but I do know art. And that’s not it,” he remarked aridly. “It’s like the Major, functional, not flashy in the slightest.”

“Yes…” Jason replied absently as he looked around the room and then opened another box. “This is a…” He broke off, taking in the room as though seeing it for the first time. “What is all this? Where on earth did it come from?”

“Negative, Young Master. Sensors indicate technology is not from this planet,” K-9 replied.

Jason blinked. “All of it?”

“Affirmative.”

“I’m getting a very bad feeling about this,” Eroica said gravely.

“Item located, Young Master,” K-9 announced.

“Where?”

“In the room directly below this one.”

Jason exchanged a glance with Eroica and they proceeded to the stairs. In the room indicated, they found a similar collection of boxes. This room already had some displays in place and others in the process of being put together. There were huge tarps covering what seemed to be a larger display against one wall. Jason took in the objects in one display case in amazement, recognizing most of them. Behind him, he heard the thief give a cry of triumph.

“Found it!” Eroica announced happily.

Jason turned, crossing to him. “Good. Let me grab it so we can get the hell out of here. This place is giving me the creeps.”

* * *

Once Jason and Eroica were safely back in the TARDIS, the Doctor asked for their next destination. To his surprise, it turned out to be an island in the Mediterranean. He entered the coordinates and the TARDIS dematerialized. He then set the craft into orbit, halting their progress to the island.

“I think we could do with a bit of rest before we continue,” the Time Lord announced.

“I’d rather eat first,” Jason replied as he was unpacking the bowl. “I’m starving.”

“You have real food in this space ship, I hope,” the Major said coldly.

“Yes, we have real food,” Jason sighed. He was really getting tired of the man’s constant grousing. “K-9, take the Major to the kitchen and show him where the—”

“You expect me to cook like a woman?”

The Alterran closed his eyes and told himself that he really did not want to throttle the man just to shut him up. “Alright, I’ll cook.” The Major opened his mouth, but Jason cut him off, “And if you say one more word, I’ll let you go hungry. Now shut up and go to the kitchen!”

The Major’s mouth dropped open and he turned through six shades of purple. The Doctor took him by the sleeve and had to practically drag him from the control room. His angry protests could be heard even after the inner door closed.

“I have never killed anyone in my life,” Jason said to the grinning Eroica, “but that man is getting very close to changing that.”

“And he hasn’t even taken a swing at you yet,” the thief observed with a laugh.

“Oh, goody. Something I can look forward to.”

Jason placed the bowl in the box with the others and closed the lid, making certain it was completely sealed before turning to the inner door. He was about to head to the kitchen when he hear an odd sound and looked down, seeing Eroica putting some computer chips into the satchel.

“Where did you—?” Jason cursed in several languages. “Dorian!” he said reprovingly.

The unrepentant thief grinned at him. “Just a few souvenirs of the trip, Jason.”

“Most people buy postcards and tee-shirts with the tacky logos on them.”

Eroica draped an arm over Jason’s shoulder and started to play with his curls. “My dear Jason, you know I’m not most people.”

“Dorian, I can say without fear of contradiction that you are unlike anyone I have ever met.”

Eroica’s bright blue eyes lit up in surprise. “Was that an actual compliment?”

“It was. Don’t let it go to your head.” Jason disengaged himself from the thief and headed towards the inner door. “Now let’s see if I can cook a decent meal for the Major without poisoning him in the process.”

* * *