- Text Size +

Chapter Eleven
Look What I Stole

“I hope you two are comfortable!” came Jason’s clear voice over the ice.

Eroica and the Major exchanged an amazed look before turning to see Jason and the Doctor on the opposite side of the crack the thief had nearly fallen to his death in.

“Not really,” Eroica called back. “But it’s the best we can do under the circumstances.”

“We’re all trapped on the wrong side of these damned cracks,” the Major observed darkly. “I knew I was going to freeze to death in this bloody country.”

“They’re appearing everywhere as the earthquake activity increases,” the Doctor informed knowingly. He threw his companion a quick glance. “Jason and I were on our way to fetch you both. I think we’ll all be safer in the TARDIS.”

“We thought so, too,” Eroica replied. “Unfortunately, the KGB got in the way before we got there.”

Jason stiffened visibly and looked around. “KGB? Where?”

The Major gave a wry smile, taking a satisfied puff on his cigarette. He nodded back to the crack in the ice. “They’re on their way to hell down that hole over there.”

The ground shook momentarily and Jason shot a nervous look in the Doctor’s direction. “If we’re going to do this, I suggest we do it now.”

The Doctor nodded, turning to the others. “Hang on a bit, we’re coming to join you.”

Before the bewildered Eroica and Major could respond, Jason had returned to his true form and was carrying the Doctor over the crack in the ice. He set the Time Lord gently onto his feet, but did not return to his human form. The implications of this action were suddenly blindingly obvious.

The Doctor grinned at the amazed looks on the faces of the men still lying on the ice. “Now, who wants to go first?” he asked happily.

* * *

As they approached the TARDIS, Eroica gave the dog whistle a long blast. A moment later, the door to the Police Box swung open.

“With all these cracks opening up, I’m going to have to move the TARDIS into the fissure with the artefact,” the Doctor informed as he strode into the console room.

“Why?” Eroica wanted to know.

The Doctor gave him a steady look. “So I can destroy it. Naturally.”

“Destroy it?” the Major said in surprise. “I was not sent here to destroy it, Doctor. I was sent to recover it.”

“Major, that ship is empty. It’s of no use to anyone.”

Eroica cleared his throat. “It’s empty now, Doctor.” He suddenly had everyone’s attention. “The KGB found something inside and had the Major’s men drag it back to the hut.” With a grin, he added, “So I stole it.”

The Doctor took the sack the thief was now holding out to him and knelt down on the floor. He opened the bag and peered in. “Just what did you steal, anyway?”

“Everything that wasn’t nailed down.”

“And then some,” the Time Lord remarked. “Fortunately, the most recent will be on the top.” So saying, he reached in, startling all save Eroica when he pulled the android from the tiny sack.

“Good grief,” Jason muttered, watching as the Doctor set the automation onto its feet. It was almost his size, completely silver, and absolutely featureless. There were two indentations that were probably supposed to be eyes on the blank face. It had thin, almost stick-like arms and legs. Clearly this robot had been designed for the inside of the capsule and not heavy labor.

“So, this is what was inside that capsule?” the Major observed, looking the android up and down.

“Yes. Not very impressive, is it?” Eroica replied blandly.

Jason rolled his eyes. “It’s not a piece of art, Dorian,” he said sharply. “It’s a utility robot of some sort. They’re not exactly known for their esthetic beauty.”

“Yes, I can see that.”

The Doctor was examining the automation with an expert eye. “It’s in remarkably good condition. From the state of that capsule, I’d expected to find anything inside in pieces.” He looked over to K-9. “What do you make of it, K-9? Will it still function?”

K-9’s sensor ears twitched. “Insufficient data, Master.”

“I was afraid of that.”

Jason was suddenly apprehensive. “You’re not thinking of activating it, are you?”

The Time Lord threw him a sideways glance. “Why not?”

“I don’t know. I have a very bad feeling about that thing all of a sudden.”

“Whether it functions or not, I will be taking it back to NATO headquarters,” the Major announced startlingly. All eyes turned to him.

“You will, will you?” the Doctor replied astringently.

“My orders are to retrieve the artifacts in the ice,” the Major stated matter of factly.

“Major, didn’t you learn anything the last time I saw you?” the Doctor practically demanded.

“What I learned is my superiors do not appreciate when their agents return empty-handed,” the Major said coldly. “I have my orders and intend to follow them.” To the surprise of everyone, he drew his weapon and pointed it at the Doctor. “You will take us to Bonn, Doctor.”