- Text Size +

Chapter Thirteen

Stacking The Deck

Manipulating a deck in order for the cards to fall in one's favor using sleight of hand or trickery.

*

After more than three days at sea, and one stop for supplies, Klaus wasn't surprised when someone came with the news that the CIA was "suddenly" trying to contact James. More specifically, Mr. Tomlinson was trying to contact James. Messages had apparently been appearing on the little man's PDA over a twelve hour period.

"James must've been keeping him updated on our progress," Bonham speculated as Klaus looked through the messages that John Paul had printed out.

"Can you send a reply?" Klaus asked, addressing John Paul.

"Yes." John Paul scowling up him. "Do you really want to? He doesn't know we're coming." He nodded at the printouts in the Major's hands.

Klaus looked down, reading: "Where the hell are you? Why did you miss your last update? Tell that idiot Marshall he's supposed to be arresting Iron Klaus, not taking a vacation as Eroica!"

An evil smile came to the officer's face. This caused John Paul to exchange a look of mutual uncertainty with Bonham. In the past, that look would've sent a chill down his spine. Well, actually, it still sent a chill down his spine, only this time, the Earl wasn't going to be on the receiving end of whatever the Major was scheming.

"Send him this message..."

* * *

"Looks like Tomlinson got your message, Major," Bonham remarked aridly. He held up a printout. "He wants the number of the sub's satellite phone."

Klaus's eyebrows went up as he read the message. "And he wants to talk to the Earl," he observed in amusement. "How often do they speak?" he then asked.

"Never. I think the last time was when his lordship went to D.C. in the 80s."

"After his breakdown over that statue." A statement rather than a question.

Bonham nodded. "James usually takes care of all the details. Technically, he's supposed to be the one in charge."

Klaus gave the older man a dubious sideways look. "You're joking?"

"No, sir. Not that anyone pays him much mind."

"Until now." Klaus looked down at the paper in his hand and drew a deep breath. At least he only had to do a voice impersonation rather than put on the complete, ridiculous disguise. That could wait until they arrived in Virginia. "Send him the number."

Everyone gave the officer a stunned look.

Klaus twisted some of his long hair around a finger. "If he wants to talk to the Earl," he said in a dead-on impersonation of Eroica's voice, "we'll let him talk to the Earl."

* * *

"I know I've already said this, but I am so glad to be out of that hospital," Eroica said as he was helped from the car by Z. "I don't think I got any rest at all."

"We'll take you straight to your room," Z replied.

"Oh, please, must you? Couldn't I sit on the sofa in the front room?"

Z exchanged an uncertain look with G, causing Eroica to laugh. "I'm hardly in any condition to be running away. And if you're afraid I'll call someone, just unplug the phone."

By this time, they had reached the front door, and it opened before G even reached for the doorknob, revealing Agent A on the other side. "Lord Gloria would like to sit in the front room," Z informed as he helped the man in question through the door.

"I promise to be good," Eroica said playfully, receiving a scowl from the agents. He did not wait for a reply, heading straight to the sofa. He gave a contented sigh as he eased himself onto the soft surface and then shifted in order to recline on the pillows G was quickly arranging for him. "Thank-you, Mrs. Greenwood," he teased before turning to A, his voice suddenly deadly serious. "Mr. A, it is glaringly obvious that whatever the Major told you all was compelling enough for you to follow him--even if it could well get you executed." He paused, his voice dropping further in pitch. "I want you to tell me exactly what it was he told you."

"Why?"

"Because if it's compelling enough for twenty-six trained intelligence agents to pack up and leave everything over, it might be equally compelling for a no-longer undercover CIA operative with considerable underworld connections."

A gave him a dubious look, exchanging glances with the others. So far, the Earl had kept his word, saying nothing that could have endangered them, despite the numerous opportunities that had arisen while he was recovering in the hospital. Cut off from the Major as they were, the tension level amongst the Alphabet was growing so thick it could be cut with a knife. Perhaps having the Earl as an ally would be advantageous, given the circumstances.

A sat down, drew a deep breath, and laid out the Major's original mission to the stunned Eroica. When he finished, the Earl sat staring into space for some time.

"Jesus..." he said in a small voice. "Even Iron Klaus couldn't persuade them..."

A shook his head. "After the success in the Kosovo War, they're looking for more direct means of dealing with terrorists. Especially after what happened last September in the U.S."

Eroica gave him a steady look. He couldn't see NATO, or any other organization for that matter, abandoning counter-espionage activities for bombs. "The Major told you what he intended after he returned from Brussels, didn't he?" Every Alphabet in the room nodded as one. This caused the Earl to shake his head. "Did NATO threaten to out him if he continued to push this?" he then asked. This question received a stunned look. "Thought so, bloody bastards."

He put a hand to his chin, considering all the possibilities, all the different ways he and his men could assist. What the hell had NATO been thinking? Suddenly the implications of the Major's actions, and his current mission to stop him, had a head on collision. Eroica realized that he would have to decide which side he was on before going any further.

The decision did not take long.

"Mr. A, would you be open to some suggestions?"

* * *

"Why, Greg darling, how nice of you to call," Klaus said in his best imitation of Eroica's most irritating of honeyed tones. "It's been simply ages."

"Don't you give me that Eroica crap, Marshall," came Tomlinson's angry voice. "Why the hell did you leave James in Bali? And what the hell do you think you're doing chasing around the Atlantic in a submarine? You're supposed to be catching that asshole German, not playing U-boat Commander!"

Bonham heard the Major give a low growl. He feared the man would reply in his own voice, only to be stunned further when he replied with a combination English-American accent. He had no way of knowing that it was a dead on impersonation of the one the Major had heard in the interrogation room all those weeks ago.

"Okay, I'll just hop on a plane so he can see my name on the manifest and know I'm coming for him," the fake CIA agent replied tersely. "James is in Bali as a decoy and to see to the repairs on the jet. Bonham and I flew very publicly back to England."

There was a long silence in reply.

"My sources indicate," Klaus continued, still in the mixed accent, "that Iron Klaus is on his way to the U.S. He knows I'm after him. He's been leaving just enough of a trail for me to follow."

"What the hell for?"

"He's taunting me. He'll be watching the airlines, I'm sure of it."

"And where do your sources indicate he's heading?"

A small smile crept onto Klaus's face before he gave his reply. "Langley." He wondered if the man at the other end of the line had dropped the phone.

"I take it that's why you're on your way here?"

Klaus raised an eyebrow when he heard what could only be fear in the man's voice. Interesting. "That was the plan."

"Then I'd better tell the Coast Guard not to open fire on you."

That would be nice. "I'll send word when I arrive. Marshall out." Klaus made a slashing motion across his throat and the transmission was cut.

Craig had returned during the conversation and Klaus turned to him. "Well? Have you found a suitable candidate for my double?"

Craig grinned. "I have. And he's keen to do it."

"Good." Klaus turned to John Paul. "Has M checked in yet?"

"No, Major," John Paul replied. He glanced at his watch. "He's due any minute." He saw a thoughtful look pass over the officer's face. "Major..." he ventured, "I've been thinking about what you told us. About that doctor. And...I've had some thoughts about your Doppelgänger ploy..."

The Major's eyebrows went up. "Oh? Let's hear them."

* * *

Eroica sat silently watching as the Alphabets had a conference on the far side of the room. He had offered not only his considerable underworld contacts but also his services as the best thief in the world. It was obvious that the agents wanted to jump at his offer but were also undecided as to whether he could be trusted. He was, after all, still their prisoner.

When the group turned back to look across the room, Eroica smiled. "Well?" he said calmly. He could almost feel the tension lifting.

"We...accept your offer," A said guardedly. "But only the use of your contacts."

"Well, I'm hardly fit to be doing much thieving, am I?"

There were several chuckles in response to this. It was followed by a collective gasp when the Earl went on to say, "I'd like to speak to James, if I may."

Agent A exchanged a nervous glance with the others.

Eroica sat up a bit more, his eyes widening. "You haven't hurt him, have you?"

"No!" A was clearly horrified. They had all wanted to do the stingy bug an injury, but that was as far as it went.

"Oh, thank goodness." Eroica put a hand to his head, closing his eyes. "If you want the cash to carry this out, he's the one to get it." He opened his eyes to see a guilty expression flashing across the agents' faces. "What aren't you telling me...?" he asked suspiciously.

* * *