[Reviews - 1] Printer
Summary: Written for an essay competition in a class on Decadence.

Rated: G
Characters: None
Genres: Essay
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes
Word count: 1107 Read: 5455
Published: 05/03/2006 Updated: 05/03/2006

1. Eroica: A Postmodern Dandy by Hunter [Reviews - 1] (1107 words)

During my senior year of college, I took an English Lit. class on Decadence. It was one of the best classes I've ever taken; I loved every minute of it and it had a tremendous influence on me. Toward the end of the semester, the professor held a "Flowers of Evil" essay competition for which we were each asked to find a modern example of Decadence (a "flower of evil"), describe it, and explain exactly what made it decadent. Eroica was, of course, the first thing that came to my mind. ^_~

 I exaggerated certain things slightly for the purposes of the essay; in particular, I'm sure some people will think I've overstated Dorian's sadism. But other than that, I did my best to give an accurate representation (and endorsement) of the series.

This ended up winning "best essay," so the professor read portions of my essay in class and projected the Eroica images I'd provided for all to see. I was thrilled to be able to give a couple hundred of my fellow students an introduction to the series. ^_^ Incidentally, the prize was a dual-language edition of Death in Venice--in English and German. How appropriate.