- Text Size +

CHAPTER THREE

IF HE SAYS NO…

The Major sat alone, silently awaiting the arrival of his lunch. Despite the crowd, no one dared venture near and invite the quiet wrath of Iron Klaus. He was looking out the window but not really taking in the scenery. His mind was too full of his upcoming mission to bother with such foolishness as admiring the arrival of spring.

The Major’s lunch arrived the same moment two women in NATO uniforms entered. “Details! I demand details!” he heard one saying. He glanced up and froze. The woman to whom this demand was directed was Anna Schmidt.

“Over here!” a voice called from the other side of a wooden partition that was directly behind the Major’s head.

The waiter was unable to move until the women squeezed past, and the Major used him, and the large tray he held against his body, to shield himself from view, not that he really needed to. Neither woman so much as glanced his way, being too intent on getting to the table behind him.

“I don’t know why you’re so insistent, Evie,” Anna was saying as she slid into the seat directly behind the Major. “I keep telling you, those parties are all the same.”

“This one was at Schloss Eberbach, for pity sake!” Evie replied as she took a seat opposite. “I’ve been dying to find out all week. Does Iron Klaus run his parties with military precision?” She giggled at the thought.

Anna sighed heavily. “Evie, the party was a charity fund raiser arranged by Major von dem Eberbach’s father.

The listening Major heard the voice that had called out demand, “Details! You promised details.”

“I promised nothing of the kind, Jenna. The only reason I agreed to come to lunch with you two is because you promised me beer. And I’ve yet to get any,” Anna shot back smoothly.

After more prodding by her friends, and the promised beer, Anna relented, if only slightly. She related the events surrounding her relentless pursuers that finally led to her asking the Major for help.

“Oh, that’s so romantic,” Jenna sighed wistfully.

Anna rolled her eyes and groaned. “Romantic my ass. It was humiliating.”

“Oh, here it comes. We’re going to get the ‘I am a Modern Woman’ speech again,” Evie chided.

“Well, not all of us joined the military to travel for free and find a husband. If you want to spend your lives relying on a man…” Anna waved a hand in the air in disgust. She glanced out the window, seeing the very men she had been running from admiring a sports car. She groaned inwardly. Then a thought struck her and she turned back to her co-workers. “Okay. If you two want romance, take a look at those two. The ones by that red car.”

Her friends followed her gaze, as did the listening Klaus. He recognized the men as being the ones Anna had been fleeing at the Schloss.

“Don’t tell me you know them?” Jenna said disbelievingly. “They’re dreamy.”

Anna had to fight not to issue a biting retort. “Yes, I know them.” She gave a wry smile. “I’ll bet they’ll like you both.”

“What makes you say that?” Evie asked suspiciously.

“Because I hate them.”

Her friends burst out laughing. It had become a running joke that anyone that Anna hated was a perfect match for everyone else.

“Go on while you’ve still got time,” Anna encouraged. “Lunch is on me.” She did not have to speak twice. Her friends exchanged a delighted look, thanked her and then left. A moment later, she saw them happily chatting with the two men.

“Very professionally handled, Lieutenant,” a mail voice said calmly.

Anna turned to see the Major staring down at her. “Major von dem Eberbach!” she gasped. She practically jumped to her feet to come to attention. “Sir…I…you… Oh, God.” She threw a helpless look out the window. “You heard all that?

“Every word.”

Anna felt all the blood drain from her face. “Major, I apologize—”

“Is this how you spend your time? Gossiping about superior officers?”

“No, sir. Contrary to how all that sounded, I’m not a tittering female.”

“No? I refuse your…proposal and yet rumors abound.”

Anna felt her face flush and lowered her eyes, unable to meet the accusing glare. “That was my mother’s doing, sir, not mine.”

The Major gave a disbelieving snort. “Fräulein Schmidt, I don’t believe your mother is capable of doing all that you say.”

Anna looked up. “Have you met my mother, Herr von dem Eberbach?” she asked forcefully.

“Only briefly.”

“Then, sir, you are a lucky man,” Anna replied darkly. “I sometimes think that if the KGB ever got hold of her, she could single handedly bring down Western civilization.”

“Fräulein Schmidt, I’m going to be a gentleman for a few minutes and ask you, very politely, to do something for me.”

Even though the Major’s tone was light, his expression was cold and hard and Anna felt a chill run down her spine. “What would that be, Major?” she asked in as even a tone as possible.

“Stay away from me.”

Anna chose not to point out that she had already been attempting to do just that. “That will be difficult in Headquarters.”

The Major’s expression did not change. “You have intelligence training. Use it!” he snapped, going from gentleman to superior officer in one breath.

“Yes, sir,” came the curt reply.

* * *

Although it was difficult at times, Anna was able to do as the Major…well, ordered. On those occasions when contact was unavoidable, such as when classified materials had to be hand delivered, she acknowledged the Major’s presence as one would any other superior officer.

Days passed. Then weeks. Then months. The rumors persisted.

It was late summer before Anna decided to return to the tavern in which the Major had confronted her. It was one of the Major’s regular haunts, if such a term could be applied to a man such as Iron Klaus. There was little chance of her bumping into him on this occasion, however, as he was currently away on a mission.

Most of the lunch crowd had filtered out by the time Anna arrived. She wondered if she should take a seat at the bar or sit alone at table. Well, she thought, she was through working for the day. There was no need to hurry. She decided on a table and glanced around the room. Her eyes fell on the lone occupant of a booth by the window only a few feet away. He was sitting ramrod straight, his eyes fixed on her, his face clouded with anger. Anna felt her heart in her mouth.

Shit! Major von dem Eberbach! He’s supposed to be on a mission! What the hell is he doing here?

Recovering herself quickly, she met his accusing gaze steadily. After a moment, she turned to leave, glancing out the window to the café across the street. Then she froze, her eyes growing wide. “God’s teeth!” she exclaimed.

The Major scowled and followed her gaze. Then his eyes grew wide. “God fucking dammit!”

A man and a woman were being seated outside the café. The woman was Anna’s mother, but the man with her was not her father. He was, in fact, the Major’s father.

Anna crossed to the horrified Klaus, giving him a steady look before taking a seat opposite him. “Now do you believe my mother can do all I say, Herr von dem Eberbach?”

The Major did not reply. His head was already spinning. A waiter came up to table at that moment and looked expectantly at Anna. She threw a quick sideways glance in the officer’s direction. “I need a drink, Major. How about you?”

He nodded, ordering a very stiff drink. He was mildly surprised when Anna asked for the same. He was very surprised when she knocked it back in one go.

“Dear God, that woman is going to be the death of me,” Anna moaned as she put down the glass. She pulled open her purse and rummaged though it a moment before pulling out a cigarillo and lighter. She looked up, seeing the stunned look on the Major’s face. She was prevented from remarking on it when a voice from the door called out to the Major causing his face to turn to stone.

“I knew I’d find you here,” Eroica said happily as he flounced across the room.

Even though she had never met him formally, Anna recognized the Earl of Gloria immediately. Everyone in NATO knew Eroica and of his relentless pursuit of Iron Klaus.

“What are you still doing in Germany, Lord Gloria?” the Major asked coldly.

Eroica grinned and twirled one of his long blond curls around a finger. “Bonn in late summer is so beautiful,” he said wistfully. “I just couldn’t tear myself away.”

“More foppish nonsense,” the Major snorted.

Eroica turned his gaze on Anna, who could tell that she was being sized up. She met his gaze levelly as she lit the cigarillo in her hand and casually took a puff. Two could play at this game.

Eroica pulled up a chair and sat down. “And who is this lovely soldier lady, Major?” he asked conversationally.

The Major’s eyes flashed with annoyance, but he held his temper. Just. “Lieutenant Schmidt is with NATO intelligence and will already know who you are, Lord Gloria.

Eroica’s eyebrows went up. “Lieutenant?” He shot the Major a sideways look. “Isn’t there a rule against fraternization, or something?”

The Major ignored the remark. “The Lieutenant and I are attempting to discuss intelligence matters. Go away.”

Eroica got to his feet. “Alright, I know when I’m not wanted.”

“Since when?”

Now it was Eroica’s turn to ignore the remark. He gave Anna a steady look. “A little advice, my dear. Don’t bother. You’re not his type.”

“Get out of here, you fucking pervert!” the Major snarled, jumping to his feet at the same time.

Eroica gave the irate Major an innocent look but did not push further. Otherwise he would be leaving with a black eye. He gave Anna a glowing smile. “Nice uniform,” he said with a giggle before quickly turning on his heel and leaving.

Anna could see the Major was shaking with rage, his hands balled into fists. For a moment, she entertained the thought of ordering him another stiff drink. She glanced out the window, seeing Eroica heading casually in the direction of the café. “Major!” she gasped in horror. “He wouldn’t, would he?”

Klaus turned. Seeing what she meant, he cursed in several languages and reached for his gun. If the bloody pervert even hinted that he planned to speak to his father, he would put a bullet through his foppish skull.

Eroica threw a playful look over his shoulder, seeing the Major framed in the window; a look of thunder on his face and his hand in his jacket, the threat unmistakable. Eroica threw a meaningful glance in the direction of the café and then turned back, blowing the Major a kiss before striding off in the opposite direction.

“One of these days, I’m going to kill that fucking pervert,” the Major snarled as he dropped back into his seat.

Anna had a hand to her forehead, her eyes closed. If this was what happened when the Major said no, what would have happened had he said yes? She looked up when the officer quietly asked, “Are you alright, Lieutenant?”

“I feel very dizzy.”

“You shouldn’t’ve had that drink on an empty stomach.”

Anna gave a small laugh. “All I wanted was to have a nice quiet lunch,” she said dazedly. “I didn’t know it was going to be a day at the circus.” She looked over at to the café, seeing her mother glance at her watch and look over at the restaurant. “Christ, she’s waiting for me to come out! This is a nightmare.”

“How long will she wait?”

“’Till Hell freezes over if she has to.”

The Major gave a snort. “My father isn’t that patient,” he said knowingly, waving a hand to call a waiter to the table. “Eat. It won’t help matters if you faint.”

Anna gave him a cold look. “I never faint.”

“Good. Keep it that way.”

A waiter appeared at that moment. Anna ordered her lunch and Klaus ordered a beer. Then he lit a cigarette and turned his attention to the couple across the street.

As Anna ate her lunch, Klaus fell into quiet contemplation. Why was his father in Bonn? Why hadn’t he called to say he was coming? And why was he apparently conspiring with Frau Schmidt? This was not the first time a rumor had sprung up after a gathering at the Schloss. It had persisted longer than any other, but that still should not have been enough to cause his father to make the journey from Switzerland.

Anna wordlessly pushed her empty plate away. She looked up to see the Major still watching out the window. He had not spoken a word in some time. She followed his gaze. “Your father appears to be getting impatient.”

The Major nodded, watching what looked like a disagreement starting between the couple at the café. He turned back when he heard Anna catch her breath.

“He won’t come looking for you, will he?” she asked.

“No. I am expected to come to him.”

Anna wasn’t sure why this surprised her. She already had the rare opportunity to glimpse the Major outside the setting of NATO intelligence. Outside his role as Iron Klaus. She had seen him acting the part of polite gentleman and host. It was the role of son that shocked her. A subordinate role. It simply didn’t suit him.

“Will your mother come looking for you?” the Major then asked.

“If I were alone, she would. Then I’d get the ‘You’re not getting any younger,’ speech. I don’t think she will with your father with her. The last thing my mother wants is to be part of a scene in public.” Anna changed her voice to imitate her mother. “Maria, keep your voice down, you’ll cause a scene.” She gave an annoyed snort.

“Maria?”

Anna started, uncertain how to respond. To her relief, the Major went on to ask, “Why are you called Anna, if your name is Maria?”

Anna gave a small smile. “Major, sir, I realize this is awkward for you. You don’t need to make small talk with me.”

Klaus’s eye flickered. For all his other objections about the woman, at least she knew her place as a junior officer. The only problem was he was genuinely curious. “Tell me anyway, it’s too quiet in here.”

Anna looked around. “Yes, we do seem to have the place to ourselves now.” She saw the Major stiffen visibly and knew she had said the wrong thing. She put a hand to her head and moaned. “I just keep putting my foot in it, don’t I?”

The Major lit a cigarette and looked out the window, suddenly wishing he could send himself to Alaska. “Why Anna?” he asked again.

“It’s a little embarrassing, sir,” Anna admitted. “I went to America when I was three. Someone misheard my middle name and started singing ‘Oh, Susanna’ to me. Using the brilliant logic of a three-year-old, I thought it was about me and insisted on being called Susanna. Somewhere along the line, it turned into Anna.”

The Major nodded absently. At that moment, his father suddenly got up and left the café. Whether he had lost his patience with waiting or with Frau Schmidt, Klaus could not tell. He suspected it was probably both. He also suspected he would be getting a phone call that evening.

To Anna’s horror, her mother got up and started across the street. “Oh my God, I was wrong!” she gasped. To the Major’s horror, she dove under the table.

“Lieutenant!” he snapped angrily.

Before the Major’s reprimand could even begin, Frau Schmidt came through the door. She had a bright smile on her face that faded when she saw the officer sitting alone. He acknowledged her presence with a curt nod before casually turning his gaze to the newspaper that had been lying forgotten on the table since Anna arrived.

“Good afternoon, Herr von dem Eberbach,” Frau Schmidt said politely as she came over to him.

The Major gave her one of his inscrutable looks. “Frau Schmidt.”

“I expected to find my daughter here.”

The Major felt Anna move further beneath the table to wedge herself in the far corner against the wall. It was all he could do not to recoil. “She’s hiding under the table,” he said calmly, much to Anna’s horror and her mother’s annoyance.

The smile on the older woman’s face was fixed. “Very amusing, Herr von dem Eberbach.”

“Major! You’ll never guess what I just heard about you,” a voice called from the door.

The Major looked up, seeing Eroica striding into the room. He gave a low growl. The bright colors of the Earl’s clothes only seemed to reinforce Anna’s remark about the day turning into a circus.

“Not now!” Klaus snarled.

As always, Eroica ignored the signs of the Major’s rising displeasure. He gave Frau Schmidt an appraising look and turned back to the glowering officer. “She’s definitely not your type, either, Major,” he said in a serious tone, shaking his head at the same time.

“Lord Gloria…” the Major began threateningly.

“Where’s the strumpet who was here earlier?”

Klaus had finally had enough. He was out of his seat and had Eroica by the shirt before anyone knew what was happening. “God dammit, will you stay the fuck out of my affairs!” he snarled, shaking the thief for all he was worth.

Eroica threw his hands up, wisely choosing not to poke fun at the officer’s choice of words. “Major, please, there’s a lady present!”

“Be glad, you bloody faggot. That’s all that’s stopping me from breaking your fucking neck!”

Eroica suddenly found himself being dragged to the door before he was thrown bodily into the street. “I am getting tired of saying this. Stay the fuck out of my life!”

The seething Major turned back to Frau Schmidt, who had a horrified expression on her face. “Good afternoon, Frau Schmidt,” he said between clenched teeth.

Taking the hint, the older woman fled from his presence.

Within twenty-four hours, all rumors pertaining to Major Klaus Heinz von dem Eberbach and Fräulein Maria Susanne Schmidt had ceased.

* * *