- Text Size +

CHAPTER FIVE

IF HE SAYS NO, THEN RECONSIDERS…

PART 2

The covert operation went far better than either Anna or Klaus ever imagined. After the pre-arranged dinner meeting, high society was buzzing with the news that the pair were indeed an “item.” The illusion was so ridiculously simple to maintain, Klaus found himself wondering why the idea had never occurred to him before. Then again, it would have required enlisting the assistance of a woman and that required his having to seek one out, which was not an action he would have relished.

As predicted, the Major’s Chief was deliriously happy when he learned that Iron Klaus might actually be ready to settle down. This would get accounting and personnel off his back permanently. He went out of his way to be nice to Anna, which was actually quite repulsive, if one were honest.

In the midst of all this, Anna received the promotion she had been seeking, which only added to the rumors that someone “higher up” was pulling strings for her. She found this quite insulting, as it intimated that she had not gotten the job on her own merits. She was somewhat surprised when she learned that the Major was equally insulted, as it brought his integrity into question.

In the end, they agreed to let the situation pass, as it would be impossible to change the misconception in the face of their ongoing operation. The only way for this to happen would be for the truth behind their sham “relationship” to become known, something neither of them wanted to happen.

* * *

Anna sat alone in the local tavern, watching the snow falling outside the window. Snow! This early in the year. Well, it won’t be around for long, fortunately. Unfortunately, it reminded Anna of the upcoming holiday season…and all the social events this encompassed. Her mother would be more adamant than usual that she attend, and this year, she would be insisting that the Major accompany them. In an effort to head this off, Anna had contacted the Major, stating that information was missing from a briefing, the code phrase he had instructed her to use whenever a meeting was necessary.

The Major had been relieved that, after more than four months into the operation, this was the first time the code phrase had been used. He had feared that Anna would be just like his subordinates, requesting instructions at every turn. As it turned out, this was not the case. It soon became obvious that the Lieutenant was a very capable and resourceful intelligence officer. Klaus sent a reply, instructing her to meet him at the tavern that weekend when it was less likely to be crawling with NATO personnel.

Anna was so distracted with her thoughts that she failed to notice the man who approached her table, only registering his presence when he slid into the seat opposite her. Thinking it to be the Major, she sat up straighter as she turned, her expression going from expectant to astonished. The man across the table was the Earl of Gloria, dressed to kill as usual. The fur coat he was wearing would have been the envy of several women of Anna’s acquaintance.

“Good afternoon, Fräulein,” the Earl said politely.

Despite the fact that she had never met him formally, Anna recognized Eroica instantly. She had been expecting him to appear long before now and was wondering what had finally prompted him to do so.

“Good afternoon,” Anna replied mildly. “May I ask why you chose to come sit with me? There are plenty of places available. And, well…I’m hardly your type, am I?”

“Are you attempting to insult me, Fräulein?” the Earl replied tersely.

“Why would I insult a perfect stranger?”

The Earl’s eyes flickered. “Then allow me to introduce myself—”

“Don’t bother, you fucking pervert,” a familiar baritone voice said from beside him.

Eroica looked up, seeing the Major glaring down at him. The Earl’s expression went from surprised to delighted to disconcerted within a few seconds. “So, it’s true. You really are seeing this…this…woman.

“Lord Gloria, get out before I throw you out,” the Major said coldly.

“This is a public place, Major. I have as much right to be here as you do,” Eroica replied, not moving from his seat. “I just wanted to get to know this…lovely creature.”

The Major and Anna groaned in unison, much to their mutual astonishment.

“Why?” Anna asked. “If it’s fashion tips you want, you’re better off talking to my mother.”

Eroica’s mouth dropped open and the Major had to fight not to laugh. As it was, a small smile curled the edges of his mouth.

“Oh, she has a sharp tongue, Major,” Eroica said finally. “Definitely not your type at all.”

The Major responded with a low growl. “Lord Gloria, I’m warning you…”

“You’re always warning me, Major,” Eroica replied with a dismissive wave of a hand. He turned back to Anna. “Does he warn you, too, Fräulein Schmidt? Or does he just issue orders?”

Anna gave a small smile, resting her chin in her hand and leaning on her elbow. “So you do know my name, Lord Gloria. I guess that doesn’t make us strangers after all,” she said coolly, much to the Major’s approval and Eroica’s discomfort. “Tell me, does Elton John know that his wardrobe is missing yet?”

“Bitch!” Eroica exclaimed.

The smile on Anna’s face did not change. “I could’ve told you that,” she said dismissively. She started to slide out of her seat. “I think maybe we should go someplace else.” She looked up, her eyes locking with the Major’s. They were getting perilously close to having to resort to first names. While Klaus had already covered this inevitability when the operation began, they had agreed to stick to referring to one other by rank, using the excuse that they were less likely to slip while in NATO headquarters.

Before Klaus could reply one way or the other, a woman was calling from the doorway. “Anna! Anna, this has gone far enough.”

Anna looked up and groaned, a hand going to her head. Klaus turned, seeing a blond woman charging towards the table. She was dressed in a business suit similar to the one he was wearing himself. He rolled his eyes to the ceiling and let out a low groan. Eroica took in this reaction and sat back to watch what promised to be a very entertaining floor show.

“Teresa, not again,” Anna moaned as the woman stormed up to the group. “I’ve told you a thousand times to leave me alone.”

Teresa snorted, waving a hand in the air. “You think you can fool me with this…this…” She looked the Major up and down in obvious distaste.

“Wire rope?” Eroica injected helpfully.

“Shut the fuck up!” Klaus snapped angrily.

Teresa gave the Earl an appraising look. “You can’t possibly be interested in the Iron Maiden, too?”

“Iron Maiden?” Eroica gave a delighted laugh. “Oh, Major, you do have a sense for the ironic. Do you think this is a match made in a foundry?”

“Stick to thieving. Comedy definitely isn’t your strong point,” Anna said coolly as she got to her feet.

The Major looked at the newcomer and then over at the Earl, an evil smile coming to his face. “I think we’ll leave these two perverts to themselves.” Then he drew himself to his full height, holding out a hand. “What do you say, Anna? Shall we go to the Schloss for lunch?”

It was all Anna could do not to cry out in alarm. Then she saw the expressions on the faces of Teresa and Eroica, an odd combination of horror and astonishment. She took the Major’s hand and moved in close to him, going on to wrap her hands around his arm, feeling his body stiffen slightly as she did so. I don’t like this any more than you do. She beamed up at the man beside her, forcing herself to say, “Why, Klaus, that would be absolutely lovely.”

Klaus decided that this ridiculous charade was worth every second when he saw the dumbfounded expression on Eroica’s face. The pervert was absolutely speechless. The Major gave Teresa a piercing look, making a show of taking in her clothing. “He’ll make you a good wife,” he said calmly.

“Homophobic bastard!” Teresa snarled as the officer brushed passed her, Anna on his arm.

* * *

Anna breathed a sigh of relief the moment they stepped out onto the sidewalk.

“Don’t let go of my arm,” the Major instructed in a low voice. “They’ll be watching from the window.”

Anna nodded, struggling to keep the smile on her face. “What now?”

“Have you eaten?”

“No.”

“Then we eat. We’ll take my car to keep up appearances. Come back for yours later.”

“Yes, sir.”

The next thing out of the Major’s mouth startled the woman beside him. “Call me Klaus.”

Anna stopped short and looked at him. “What? I thought that was just for…well, emergencies?”

“We’re discussing where to go to lunch,” Klaus instructed calmly as he turned to face her.

“Of course we are,” Anna replied with a bright smile, tilting her head to one side as though thinking over a suggestion. “Now, Major, about calling you by name…”

“Consider it an escalation of the operation. That idiot Eroica will start to press the issue now. You’d best get into the habit.” Klaus paused, giving Anna a piercing look. “Or do you want to terminate the operation?” From the very first meeting, they had agreed that if either one of them chose to end the operation, it would end. No questions asked.

“To be honest, right now I don’t know what I want.” Anna put a hand to her head. “My head is spinning.”

The Major gave a small grunt. “First we eat. Then you tell me why you requested this briefing.”

“Alright.” Anna suddenly stiffened and took the Major by the arm again. “We’re being watched. From across the street.”

“I know. They followed me here.”

Anna had to force herself to keep her eyes forward. “So that’s what you meant about keeping up appearances.” She stopped in front of the Major’s Benz, waiting for him to open the door for her. “Who are they?”

Klaus allowed a smile to creep onto his face. “I suspect even the KGB wants to verify the rumors that Iron Klaus has a personal life.”

Anna threw a glance across the street. “Serious threat or harmless interest?”

The Major gave Anna a look that was both surprised and approving. For an agent with no field experience, her instincts were first rate and he wondered why NATO had chosen to waste such natural ability in the Records Department. “Are you armed?” he asked suddenly.

Anna was surprised by the unexpected inquiry, although she did not allow it to show. “Always. And I’ve no doubt you saw in my file that I’m a pretty good shot.”

Klaus nodded approvingly as he closed the door. According to her file, Anna was nearly as good a shot as he was. More wasted talent. He looked over at the two men watching him from across the street, an evil smile creeping onto his face when he saw them stiffen visibly. Yes, I know who you are, fucking morons.

“Should I drive slowly to make it easy to follow me?” the Major called tauntingly. “Or should I just tell you where I’m going?” He received a stunned look in reply, which only made him smile all the more evilly. “Neither, I think.” So saying, he climbed into the Benz and drove off.

* * *

Eroica had twisted around to watch as Klaus and Anna left the tavern and strolled down the sidewalk. They stopped for a moment and had a short conversation. The Major appeared to taunt some KGB agents across the street before he got into his Benz and drove off in the general direction of Schloss Eberbach.

Eroica could not help but laugh as the KGB men went scrambling for their car. It was far too late for them to catch Iron Klaus now. This was his home turf. They had lost him the moment he got into his Benz.

When Eroica finally dropped back into his seat, he noticed the woman Anna had called Teresa was at the opposite side of the table also looking out the window. “So,” he said conversationally, “you’ve set your sights on the enchanting Fräulein Schmidt?” He put on a glowing smile and held out a hand. “Dorian Red Gloria, Earl of Gloria. And you are?”

“Teresa San Salvador,” the woman replied.

Eroica gave a delighted laugh. “Is that your name or where you’re from?”

Teresa did not take the outstretched hand and eyed the Earl suspiciously. “Are you trying to be cute?”

“I was trying to lighten the mood.”

Teresa’s skeptical expression did not change. “Just who are you to Anna?” she demanded.

Eroica laughed again, leaning back in his seat. “My dear woman, it’s Iron Klaus I’m after, not your Iron Maiden.”

Teresa’s eyes grew wide, a delighted smile replacing the suspicious expression on her face. “Really?”

“Oh, yes.” A dazzling smile lit up Eroica’s face as he waved a hand to a waiter. “Let me buy you lunch. I think we may have a mutual interest in having this Iron relationship end due to metal fatigue.”

* * *

The Major sat staring into space for several minutes after Anna explained the reason for their emergency meeting. His father had already been dropping similar hints about the upcoming holiday season. Usually Klaus could deflect the majority of them because he was away on a mission.

“This will have to be handled delicately,” Klaus said at last. “My Chief will undoubtedly try to keep me from going on any missions in order to…assist me.”

Anna nodded. “Shall I speak to him about that, do you think?”

The Major frowned. “What would you say?”

“You tell me. What’s the best way to tell him that you’re staying here could ruin our…” Anna paused and then grinned. “Our budding relationship?”

The Major’s eyes flickered. “Budding relationship?”

“Well, he wants you domesticated. What’s the best way for me to convey that that might be—?” Anna caught her breath. “I know! God, I’m such an idiot.” She looked the Major in the eye. “I’ll tell him that if you start getting held back, it would do more harm than good.”

Klaus sat back, mulling this over in his head. “And if he asks how?”

“Well, this is where I’ll have to get all...God, I hate the thought of having to do this.” Anna drew a deep breath. “I’ll go all female on him. Tell him I don’t want to stand in the way of your career. That I’d never dream of asking you to choose between your duty and me.”

“You find saying all that distasteful?”

Anna gave him a steady look. “For the sake of this mission, I’ll do it. But to be frank, yes, I find it distasteful.”

“You would prefer the alternative?”

“No. I’d prefer to not have to do this at all.”

The Major nodded, lighting a cigarette and leaning back in his chair. “As would I.”

Anna gave him a steady look. “We’re very much alike, Major. Trapped between duty, family and independence. I don’t know about you, but sometimes I wish I were an orphan.” She did not expect a reply and was surprised when she received one.

“Do you believe you wouldn’t possess a sense of duty if you were an orphan?”

Now that was a good question, to which Anna did not have an answer. “Well, anyway, this has worked so far. My mother hasn’t fussed at me once about going to any more of those society affairs. It’s the holiday parties that have me worried.”

“Give the Chief your little speech. That should satisfy him.”

“And my mother?”

“There’s an annual Christmas gathering sponsored by NATO,” Klaus said calmly. “Tell your mother that we shall be attending that, as my schedule prohibits making any other plans.”

Anna sat back and looked at him. That was quite possibly the most backhanded request for a date that she had ever heard. “Major, I really think this operation is getting exceptionally complicated.”

“Do you want to end it and go back to having your mother drag you to—?”

“No!”

The Major nodded. “Then do as I tell you. Sometimes we must do distasteful things for the sake of a mission. The holidays will be over before you know it.”

* * *

Anna sat on a park bench feeling the warm breeze on her face. Spring. Already! It didn’t seem possible that it was spring once again. It also didn’t seem possible that three years had passed since she asked Klaus to rescue her from the relentless attentions of her so called suitors. Klaus! It was still strange to think of Major von dem Eberbach this way, even after all this time.

Once they had gotten over the initial hurdle of that first holiday season, things had gone relatively smoothly. The joint venture of Eroica and Teresa was ongoing and infuriating, but had not changed anything. In fact, it only seemed to add to the Major’s resolve to continue the operation no matter what.

Anna looked at her watch and then down the path. Klaus would be arriving at any moment to escalate the operation yet again. Every time he did so, she wanted to pull out. To stop the lies, the sham relationship, the pretense of affection. But the alternative was far worse. And she knew this was just as distasteful to the Major as it was to her. They tolerated one another for the sake of appearances, going on with their lives in the interim.

Right on time, Klaus appeared on the path, strolling casually in Anna’s direction. She put on her best smile when she saw him. As always, they had an audience, and this show had to be perfect.

“I was afraid you’d been called away at the last minute,” Anna said as she got to her feet.

“Just paperwork. You’ll be getting all the files come Monday,” Klaus replied, allowing a quick embrace before holding out a hand. “Are you wearing make up?” he asked in a quiet voice.

“Some,” Anna whispered back as she took a seat.

“Don’t get it on my coat.”

Anna could not help herself and laughed at this all too familiar admonition, a hand going to her face. “Oh, Klaus,” she tittered loudly, adding in a low voice, “We have an audience.”

“I know. Make this good. I’m not doing it a second time.”

“They’ll expect me to kiss you.”

“Are you wearing lipstick?”

“No. I made sure not to.”

“Good. It’s nearly impossible to get off.”

Anna gave him an amused look. Then she drew a deep breath to steady herself before putting on her best confused look. “Ready when you are,” she hissed between her teeth.

Klaus threw a sideways glance over to where he knew Eroica was watching. There were KGB and CIA men close at hand, too. Good. I hope you all can see this. He pulled out a small box from his inside pocket, opened it and then got down on one knee in front of Anna.

“That got everyone’s attention,” he said calmly, fighting the smile that was twitching at the corner of his mouth when he saw the horrified expression on Eroica’s face. The thief had risen to his feet the instant the ring box was produced.

To her credit, Anna put on a first rate performance. She cooed and bubbled, finally bursting into tears. She leaned over to give Klaus a kiss, using her long hair as a shield to hide the fact that she only pecked him on the cheek.

“This was my grandmother’s ring,” Klaus informed as he slipped the engagement ring on Anna’s finger. “My father insisted that I give it to you.”

“I like your father,” Anna said without thinking. She looked up, feeling slightly embarrassed. So far, they had kept everything on a completely professional level. She surprised herself with this casual remark.

“My father likes you to,” Klaus replied evenly.

“He approves?”

“Very much.”

Anna nodded, looking down at the ring on her hand. A ring she never expected to wear. A ring that would bring the operation to a close. Or would it? She looked up, seeing the man beside her as though for the first time, the events of the past three years swirling in her head. “Major—Klaus, this is the last step in this operation, isn’t it?” she asked tentatively.

Klaus scowled. “What do you mean?”

Anna held out her hand as though admiring the ring. Oh, hell, she was admiring the damn thing! “I mean…there isn’t going to be another ring being added to this one, is there? And you just haven’t told me.”

Klaus’s eyes grew wide and he had to fight not jump to his feet in alarm. It was all he could do not to recoil. “No. There won’t be.”

Anna heaved a sigh of relief. “Good.”

“Let’s go. I think we’ve given our audience enough drama.” Klaus got to his feet, holding out a hand. Anna took it and stood. “Put your arm around me,” he instructed. “We’ll walk out slowly.”

Anna did as instructed and was surprised when Klaus did not tense up. She leaned her head against him, being careful not to get any of her makeup on his coat. “Klaus, if you do decide to take the next step, I…I don’t think I would mind.” Then she did feel his body tense and could not help giggling. “I think we have the makings of a perfect marriage.”

“How the hell do you come by that?” Klaus demanded in a low voice, wishing he did not have to continue the pretense of a casual stroll for the sake of their thunderstruck audience.

“Most couples become distant and disinterested over time. We have that already.”

Klaus stopped short, his eyes fixed in the distance. This suggestion was just as incredible as the first one Anna had made nearly three years earlier. A suggestion he had rejected, only to realize it was actually sound.

“Until then—”

“Until then” Klaus interrupted sharply as he started walking again, “we’re going to have the longest engagement in the history of Germany.”

* * *