- Text Size +

CHAPTER SIX

GUESTS OR PRISONERS?

ARGO Flight Deck
Hangar Bay 287
Moscow, Russia
November 2620

Jason stood with his arms folded across his chest while his pilot Sully activated the communications system and took a seat at the console. Sully was a thin, smallish individual with sandy-blond hair that always seemed to be falling into his eyes.

“Don’t you think you should be the one doing this?” Sully asked apprehensively.

“The Time Lord’s are positively anal when it comes to protocol,” Jason replied knowingly. “Just remember to called me your highness.”

“Got it.”

“If I call them directly, they’ll just—” Jason broke off when the face of a Time Lord he did not recognize appeared on the communications screen in front of his pilot.

“Your security clearance code, please,” the Time Lord said without preamble.

“Um…” Sully threw a nervous glance over his shoulder. “I don’t have one.”

“You’re on a security—”

“Oh, for Pete’s sake!” Jason snapped impatiently. He tapped Sully on the shoulder and the man vacated the seat, the Prince dropping down in his place. “Look, whoever you are, I’m Crown Prince Jason of Tel-Shye in the Alterran Empire,” he stated coolly. “I have a priority message that I need relayed to the Doctor. I have no idea where or when he is, so you lot are going to have to find him for me and relay the message.”

The Time Lord gave the Alterran a stricken look, turned to speak to someone off screen and then turned back. “One moment, please, your royal highness.”

The screen flickered and another Time Lord whom Jason did not know appeared. “Your royal highness, my name is Gilgavik. How may I be of assistance?”

“I need to have a messaged relayed to the Doctor,” Jason repeated. He explained about the time corridor and was surprised to learn that the Doctor was already on Earth in the time zone from which it originated. “Would I correct in assuming the origin is in Moscow some time in the latter part of the Twentieth century?”

Gilgavik’s eyes grew wide. “How did you know that?”

Jason grinned. “I retrieved two men from the time corridor. The last time I saw them was in the Earth year 1983. They don’t appear to be very much older, so logically…” And then there’s the dates on all their personal effects.

“You’re quite correct, sir. The point of origin is the Earth year 1987.”

Jason nodded. “If you’d be so kind as to let the Doctor know that I’m here, I would appreciate it. I’m going to try to lock the time corridor at this end so I can travel down it. I’ll be able to meet up with him at the other end.”

Gilgavik’s mouth dropped open. Even a Time Lord would think twice about traveling down an unstable time corridor. “Just how do you intend to lock the corridor?” he asked.

“One of the transmats here keeps picking up the signal whenever it enters this time zone. It’s probably near the site of the one in 1987 and they simply overlap.”

Gilgavik nodded. “That’s feasible,” he agreed. “If I may, I might be able to assist you in the mechanics of locking the time corridor.”

Now it was Jason’s turn to be surprised. Usually the Time Lords did not volunteer anything, especially help. He listened as Gilgavik explained exactly what he needed to do, only having to ask a few questions for clarification.

Finally, the conversation ended and the communications screen when dark. Jason sat thoughtfully a few minutes before turning to his perplexed pilot.

“Now what?” Sully asked.

“Now I get my other paperwork in order.”

Sully nodded absently. “Jason, was that conversation as weird as it looked?”

Jason gave a low grunt. “Weirder. I think I was talking with a CIA agent.”

“Is that good or bad?”

“It depends on whether or not the Doctor knows they’re involved.”

“Swell.” Sully threw a look across the room, suddenly remembering something else. “Uh, speaking of weird. While you were gone, something…odd came through on our own transmat.” He waved a hand, indicating a box across the room.

“Ah! Yes, thank you, Sully. I forgot about that.” Jason jumped to his feet and crossed to the box.

“Dare I ask…?”

The Prince looked up and smiled. “It belongs to a friend.”

“Jason, if you don’t mind my saying so, you have some very strange friends.”

Jason laughed. “My dear Sully, I will not argue with you there.”

* * *

Gorbachev Complex
Moscow, Russia
November 2620

After his disconcerting contact with Gallifrey, Prince Jason returned to the main offices and spent several hours sorting out the proper paperwork that would allow him to remain on Earth. He also made certain all the proper paperwork was filed that would allow him to more fully assist Technician Barnes and his team with Transmat 12. This would clear the way for him to take charge of the two men—the two friends—he had plucked from the time corridor. It was morning before he was finally able to make the journey to the infirmary to check on their progress.

“How are the patients?” Jason asked his aide as they made their way through the building.

“According to Dr. Topov, they’re responding quite well to the treatment you prescribed, sir,” Rosewood replied.

“Good. With any luck, I’ll be able to…” Jason’s voice trailed off as he pushed open the door to the infirmary. Further within, he heard a single raised voice and could not help but smile. Responding well indeed. Poor Topov. He threw a knowing look over at his confused aide. “Somebody isn’t happy. And I don’t even have to guess who.”

Following the voice, Jason pushed open a door to find Dr. Topov attempting to separate his patients. The Prince had to stifle a laugh when he saw the Major wrapped in a sheet and screaming at Eroica at the top of his voice.

“How many times have you interfered in my life, you Goddamn faggot?” the Major ranted.

Eroica was sitting up in bed, his arms crossed. “You can’t blame any of this on me, Major.”

“Then what the hell are you doing in the Soviet Union?”

“I told you. I went to Leningrad on legitimate business. It was your bloody spies who dragged me to Moscow under false pretenses.”

“I can’t believe that you were stupid enough to trust the KGB!”

“I didn’t know it was the KGB,” Eroica countered forcefully. “I thought I was dealing with a legitimate art broker. You don’t think I’d willingly work with those barbarians, do you?”

“Idiot! The KGB watches every westerner who sets foot in this country.”

Eroica gave a derisive snort and turned away in annoyance.

Dr. Topov seized the opportunity to intervene. “Gentlemen, please…”

The Major glared at the physician, who flinched away from his cold, hard green eyes. This allowed Jason to seize the opportunity himself and he cleared his throat loudly.

The Major turned, seeing the Prince and his aide at the door. He drew himself to his full height, eyeing them suspiciously. He took in the Alterran’s royal finery with a distinct air of distaste.

Jason watched this display in admiration, an amused smile coming to his face. You’ve got to give the man credit, even wrapped in a sheet, he can be damned intimidating. Thank God he doesn’t have a gun.

Dr. Topov had a different reaction. “Your royal highness, thank goodness!” he cried, crossing to the amused Prince Jason. “I’m at my wit’s end.”

“Not too long a journey,” Klaus snorted.

“I can see a trip through a temporal corridor hasn’t affected your charming disposition,” Jason observed mildly.

Klaus continued to eye him suspiciously. “Are you the one in charge?”

“So it would appear, Major Eberbach,” Jason replied mildly, a small smile coming to his face at the stunned expression this produced. He turned to the overwhelmed Dr. Topov, asking, “Doctor, are your patients fit to be released?”

“Yes. Yes!” Topov replied gratefully. “More than fit.”

“Good.”

Jason looked up, seeing the Major pull the sheet further around himself. “Dr. Topov, I think Major Eberbach would be more comfortable in his own clothes.”

“What about me?” Eroica called from across the room. It was unusual for him to be ignored and he was feeling distinctly put out by it.

The Alterran gave him a steady look. “I’m sure you’d be more comfortable in the Major’s clothes, too, Lord Gloria. But you’re going to have to settle for your own.”

Eroica blinked, his mouth dropping open.

The Major’s face darkened, his eyes narrowing suspiciously. “Who the hell are you?” he demanded. “What exactly is this place? How did we get here?”

“I’m afraid the answers to those questions aren’t all that simple, Major,” Jason replied evasively. “And they’ll take quite some time to explain.”

The Major snorted, waving a hand in the air. “Typical KGB response.”

Jason gave him a dark look. “I’ve been compared to quite a few things in my life, but never to one of those thugs.”

“The Major thinks everyone is KGB,” Eroica said matter-of-factly.

“What else would you find in KGB Headquarters, you idiot! Boy Scouts?” the Major countered fiercely.

Jason sighed heavily before he turned to Dr. Topov, saying quietly, “You’ll need to give the Major some privacy when he dresses, Doctor. He’s quite the homophobe when Lord Gloria is around.” Seeing the hundreds of questions about to spring from the man’s mouth, the Prince said quickly, “Don’t argue. Just do it. I have to get the last of the paperwork sorted out so I can officially take charge of my…um, guests. I’ll have someone come to collect them in a bit.” So saying, he turned on his heel and left.

* * *

The Prince made straight for the administrative offices where his paperwork was supposed to be waiting. He soon learned that there had been one delay after another. He finally had to resort to contacting Gallifrey again. Once more, the CIA intercepted his communication. He explained the situation and was pleased when the Time Lord on the screen asked to speak with the person in charge.

Jason could not prevent an amused smile from coming to his face as the stodgy Earth official that he had been dealing with was effectively dressed down. Somehow, it made the delay worth it.

* * *

Within half an hour after the Prince left them, the Major and Eroica were dressed in their own clothes and waiting for the promised escort. Dr. Topov had made himself scarce in the interim. A uniformed officer eventually appeared at the door and took in the pair in obvious distaste. “You men, come with me,” he ordered.

Klaus looked the soldier up and down, crossed his arms and leaned back against the counter that was behind him. “Where?” he demanded.

“I ask the questions around here.”

“Oh, this is starting out well,” Eroica said aridly from his place across the room.

The officer glanced down at a document in his hand. “Which one of you is Major Abberbatch? And which is…” He paused and frowned before asking, “Lordglory?” He looked from one to the other.

Eroica saw the Major roll his eyes as their names were mangled. Then the German turned a conspiratorial look in his direction. The Earl gave a slight nod, being inwardly grateful that for once he wasn’t dressed in his usual, flamboyant style. He had been thrown into the transmat still wearing his very respectable Armani suit.

“Who wants to know?” Eroica asked, trying to make his voice sound official.

“Captain Stavin,” came the succinct reply.

The Major gave a derisive snort. “Not Stalin?”

The Captain gave him a cold look. “Just come with me.”

“And if we refuse?”

The Captain put a hand on his weapon. “I wouldn’t want to have to use this.”

“I’ll bet you wouldn’t,” Eroica said caustically. He could tell that the Major was already sizing the man up. Iron Klaus had considerably more experience in these situations than he did. So, as in all the other occasions when this happened, Eroica simply followed the officer’s lead.

Klaus gave the Captain a dark look but did not respond. This man’s appearance only seemed to confirm his suspicions that they were still being held by the KGB and everything that had gone before was an elaborate charade. Why, he did not know. But he was not about to let anything slip and, fortunately, Eroica was intelligent enough to go along with whatever he said.

* * *

After several minutes walk, the Captain indicated a door. “In there,” he ordered.

Eroica threw a quick glance in the Major’s direction, receiving a non-committal shrug. With no other alternative, he pushed open the door. The pair found themselves in a kind of control room. There was a console covered with dials and buttons set before a large window overlooking a room containing nothing but an odd looking relining couch.

Eroica scowled, puzzled by what he saw. He heard the Major catch his breath and glanced over at him, seeing a startled expression on his face. He looked back into the room, the obvious question leaping to mind. However, since Captain Stavin clearly did not know their identities, Eroica was not about to give anything away. He gave the officer a steady look, mouthed the “M” in Major before saying quietly, “Klaus, do you know what that is?”

Even though he knew what Eroica was doing, annoyance briefly flashed across the Major’s face. “I’ve seen the plans for something like it. This must be the prototype.”

“I’m guessing that’s not good.”

“You guessed right.”

“Enough chatter,” the Captain snapped. Since the Major was closest to him, he took him by the arm and pulled him toward the door leading to the next room. To his astonishment, his prisoner forcefully pulled his arm out of his grasp.

“First we’re your patients, now we’re your prisoners?” Klaus observed coldly. “The hot and cold treatment. Is that how this works?”

“Actually, this is how it works. I ask the questions. You give the answers,” the Captain replied, taking hold of the Major’s arm again.

“Like hell,” Klaus snarled back, pulling his arm away a second time. He stood glaring at the dumbfounded officer, wishing he knew what had happened to his gun.

Four men suddenly seemed to appear out of nowhere. Eroica actually jumped when someone abruptly took hold of him and dragged him across the room. He was thrust up against the wall and manacled to in, his hands at his sides.

A smallish individual took a seat at the control desk while two others assisted the Captain in bodily dragging the protesting Klaus into the next room where he was forced onto the couch and strapped down.

Eroica watched in an appalled silence as a bizarre helmet was placed on the struggling Major’s head. It seemed to have dozens of wires coming out of it. There were thick pins sticking out of the sides that allowed it to be locked into place. “What is that?” he asked in a horrified whisper as the Major’s head was immobilized.

The operator looked at him as if he were stupid. “Haven’t you ever seen a mind probe before?”

Eroica felt all the blood drain from his face. “Mind probe…” he repeated dully, his eyes returning to the scene in the next room. The Major was completely strapped down and struggling for all his was worth.

“This will be a lot easier if you just cooperate,” the Captain said blandly, dismissing the others with a wave of his hand.

“Go fuck yourself!” Klaus snarled back.

The Captain controlled himself with visible effort as he returned to the control room. He looked through window at his struggling prisoner and then threw a quick look over at the aghast Eroica before ordering, “Activate.”

The same instant, Klaus caught his breath, his body going rigid as the helmet came to life, power stabbing into his brain.

“Now, we’ll start this off with an easy question,” the Captain said blandly, leaning close to a microphone that was attached to the control desk. “What’s your name?”

From his position in the room, the Major could see into the control room. He glared defiantly at the Captain, choosing to reply with several more carefully chosen obscenities.

“Come now, it’s a simple enough question? What’s your name?”

“I thought you already knew who we were.” This was Eroica, who was trying very had not to show how completely terrified he was. He flinched when the Captain turned an icy stare in his direction.

“What makes you say that?”

“How else would you know to ask for someone called Major?” came the logical reply.

“Shut up, you stupid limey!” Klaus called from the next room.

The Captain’s head snapped around. “Now, we’re getting somewhere,” he said happily. Then to the operator, he ordered, “Increase the power.”

“But, sir, I’m still not getting anything,” the operator protested.

“Then increase the power!”

Klaus responded with a scream that was a combination of pain and rage, and strained against the straps holding him down.

“Stop it!” Eroica screamed, pulling unsuccessfully at his bindings. “Why are you doing this? We’re perfectly harmless.”

“Then why won’t he tell me his name?” the Captain demanded.

“Because he’s a thickheaded Prussian, that’s why!”

The Major gritted his teeth, staunchly refusing to answer any questions. The power was increased again, tearing another enraged cry from his throat. He writhed in his bonds as the device clawed savagely at his brain.

“Name! What’s your name?” the Captain demanded.

“He won’t tell you because you want to know!” Eroica cried out desperately.

The Captain saw the anguished expression on the thief’s face and gave a wry smile. He crossed to him, slamming him forcefully back against the wall. “Then you tell me his name. Why are you here? Who are you both? How did you get past security?”

Eroica’s mouth dropped open in astonishment. “You mean…you really don’t know?”

The Captain ground his teeth and struck Eroica hard across the face. “What is his name?” he snarled, slamming his captive back against the wall and pinning him there. “You will tell me.”

A hand suddenly seized the front of the Captain’s uniform and forcefully yanked him back.

“No, I will tell you,” an angry voice replied as the officer was slammed into the wall beside Eroica with such force that it practically knocked the breath out of him. “His name is Klaus Heinz von dem Eberbach. He’s a Major with NATO Intelligence. And you will release him this instant!