- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Sequel to 'Things Could Be Worse'

 

Klaus paced the entry hall. He would not call it 'worried', just... prepared for unpleasantness. Why would his father visit again so soon if something wasn't the matter?

"I've found her!" The elder von dem Eberbach announced grandly, sweeping in.

"Found who?"

"The woman you're going to marry."

"Oh, no... I'm sorry, but--"

"Your friend arranged the introduction-- the Earl of Gloria?-- and I met his cousin while she was touring Europe. She's your age, Klaus... and quite the looker."

Klaus just stared, stricken. Marry a relative of that-- that outlaw?

"She's coming here. You'll like her." It was an order, not a prediction.

On second thought... if he married Eroica's cousin... Even that pervert wouldn't make improper advances on his own relative's husband! Would he?

"I'll meet her." He allowed.

---/-/---

"What did I tell you?" The old man nudged his son. "Pretty, isn't she?"

The woman stood there, marvelling at the high vaulted ceiling of the entry hall. Pretty? She was the very image of her cousin. The same hair, the same eyes. For a fleeting instant, Klaus was certain he was seeing Eroica in drag, but she looked at him without a glimmer of recognition or deceit, and there was an innocence to her... Klaus doubted very much that the Earl even knew the meaning of that word. Besides, he was certain the girl was a little shorter... not by much, but still, there was a difference.

"Oh!" Her hand fluttered to her bosom at being surprised, and she crossed the hall to meet him. "You must be Klaus! You are definitely your father's son."

"Thank you." He nodded stiffly, then kissed the back of her hand. She blushed and smiled.

"My name is Gwendolyn Fairchild-Re, Dorian's cousin."

"My father told me you would be calling. I am afraid I will not be able to entertain you much of the time. I have work."

"Well, I'll get on somehow. As long as you are here, though, it is so nice to meet you. Dorian told me you were very handsome..."

"Do you share your cousin's taste in men?"

A laugh, too throaty to be girlish, too light to be sexual. "You wouldn't expect a lady to say, would you?"

"Forgive me." He said, by rote not out of inclination towards seeking forgiveness. "I... I never knew the Earl had a cousin."

"We don't talk often... When I was on my European tour, he arranged for me to meet your father, in Switzerland, but I didn't actually see him-- didn't see Dorian, I mean. How do you know each other?"

"By accident."

Gwendolyn waited. Klaus did not elaborate.

How-- Why-- What would make Eroica tell Klaus' father about this girl when he hadn't told Klaus himself? All those protestations of love, but he didn't tell Klaus anything, not anything real.

He took Gwendolyn to see the art. Maybe she had that in common with the thief.

His instincts proved good-- she gravitated immediately to 'The Man In Purple'.

"Oh... who painted this one?"

"I do not know."

"The subject... he's an ancestor? You look just like him.

Klaus shrugged. Why would the Earl introduce her to his father? Did he want Klaus to marry into the family? Well, if that was the case, he wouldn't do it! Oh yes, he could see the plot now... After failing to seduce Klaus himself, Eroica would send this female to marry him! And then he would be invited to visit! And then he would find a way to get his filthy hands on that painting! So that was his sick scheme!

---/-/---

They only saw each other over breakfast and in the evenings. Klaus was surprised to find he could stand her... of course, it would be different if he had to spend a whole day in her company. Gwendolyn's family would want her to marry, just as much as Klaus' father wanted it of him. She seemed sensibly resigned to the fact, but she didn't see the need to bring the subject up, and he liked that. She merely enjoyed his company when he was pleasant, chatted with his father before the old man left for Switzerland again, and Klaus figured she spent her days in the library or the gallery.

He wasn't sure what he should do. Marrying Gwendolyn would make his father happy, that was good. But would it get Dorian off his back or play into his little game?

Eroica. When had he begun thinking of him as Dorian? He was Eroica. A thief. A pervert. A thorn in Klaus' side! Not 'Dorian', that implied they were friendly.

Klaus took Gwendolyn out into the garden. There was a full moon. He would try to kiss her. And if he could make himself feel nothing, then he would say goodbye and she would go home to England. If he could feel anything for her, then he would marry her and hope Dorian-- Eroica-- Lord Gloria had some honour.

"It's a beautiful night," She sighed.

"Er, yes."

"It's so romantic out here..."

"I suppose."

"You're dreadfully uncomfortable, aren't you?" She laughed. "I'm sorry. Look-- you don't need to feel obligated to me. I... had a wonderful time, but... well, I mean, if you don't--"

He tried. He honestly did. He took her in his arms and went to kiss her, but he couldn't do it. She was all wrong in his arms, with curves that kept her from fitting comfortably to him. What should he say? Should he apologize? The shame...

"I-- I can't go through with this..." She broke away, tearful.

"Oh, thank God." Klaus made absolutely no attempt to hide his relief. "Neither can I."

"I-- I thought I could... I thought, even if it was only for a little while, it would be wonderful... but I can't."

"I'm sorry as well. I meant to kiss you, only... all I could see when I looked at you was your cousin."

"Then it's the spectre of Dorian that's ruined it for both of us. I-- I mean-- Well... He loves you terribly, you know."

"A man cannot love another man. Not really."

"Dorian loves you. I see... I see why he might, even if I couldn't really explain it."

"He says it, he-- he can't mean it."

"He does."

"How do you know? You said yourself you don't talk much."

"It's so obvious to everyone. Everyone but you. I think... if I did marry you, Dorian... Dorian would die."

"You're the closest." Klaus blurted. He felt like punching himself.

"What's that, ducks?"

"My... father... has set me up, to see many eligible women. I have always turned them out the second I could. I nearly kissed you, even though in the end I couldn't."

"Tell me," She touched his arm. "Was it because I looked too much like Dorian, or was it because I wasn't really him?"

"What?" He jerked himself back from her. "I am not queer!"

"I knew you'd be angry." Gwendolyn sighed. "But think about it."

Think about it? He could not help but think it, now! And then she was gone, and he didn't see her again.

 ---/-/---

FIN