- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Alternate Universe.

Back handspring... Snap kick... Palm strike... Target down. The warrior known as 97443 showed no emotion as her partner secured the area. They worked seamlessly together to obtain the data before vanishing into the shadows. They were the best of the best, they were the Furies, feared by all other soldiers.

They were only thirteen years old.

The two girls returned to be debriefed. Their voices were cold and matter of fact. Once the reports were filed and out of the way the returned to the sterile complex one could call their home. As they approached they used coded hand-signals to communicate.

~ They think us completely cowed. ~

~ Let them. As long as the others are safe, we will obey. ~

Designate 97668 nodded. They didn't dare endanger the other two members of their unit. As yet they were the only four surviving test subjects to live to this point.

They entered their quaters only to be horrified by the sight that greeted them. Designate 97444 was curled up on the floor. His little hands were battered and bruised. Beneath him lay the thin body of 97669. The little blond moaned softly in his sleep. Someone had attacked the two six year old boys... It was time to die.

~ I think it's time to put that plan into action. ~

~ Yes, but first we kill every last peice of filth in this hell hole. ~

~Roger that. ~

THREE YEARS LATER
JAPAN: PRESENT

"Are you sure this was a good idea?"

"Yes. If anyone survived, they will never think to look for us here. Think of it Dorene, would you search for highly trained killers in this madhouse?" Designate 97443, now known as Claudia Helene , gracefully dodged a stray shuriken as it dug into the ground.

"OI! BAKA! You want to watch where you're tossing those things? Collateral Damage is a bad thing!"

The little ninja looked terribly startled to have been spotted by the 'exchange student'. He hurried off the his master's summons.

"We live in a madhouse."

"I know Dory, but we don't stand out here and since we're not engaged to anyone or involved in a feud, no one will notice us."

"Good point. Let's go pick us Cash and Wolf and head home."


CHAPTER ONE :
THROUGH THE MIRROR DARKLY

Three years had passed since the greatest warriors of a generation had lashed out at their keepers and killed everyone they could reach. Three years since they had used a very experimental device to open a doorway to another world, one where The Project did not exists. At least it hadn't...

"I don't fucking believe this!"

'What is it Dory?"

The two girls focused on the files before them. They were well acquainted with the documents. The supply list held everything that was needed to create Bio Fighters. The bastards of this world even chose the same 'donators'. It was their worst nightmare come to life.

"Oh HELL no! We can't let this happen Claudia."

"We aren't." The easy going tones of Claudia turned into the cold fire of Designate 97443.

"Ask the Wild Horse and the Blue Thunder if they want to earn a bit of extra money watching after the little ones. It looks like we need to go hunting."

Preparation took little time. The two teens were happy to look after the boy while Claudia and Dorene were 'out on business'. Mostly because the girls covered for them when them wanted time alone.

The black bags came out of storage. Within that ebony nylon and canvas lay the tools of a trade they hoped to leave behind on another world. But now all they could do was try and prevent that nightmare from becoming reality in their new home.


BONN:
NATO OFFICE OF MAJOR EBERBACH

Major Klaus von dem Eberbach hung up his phone and scowled. Eroica would meet him in Spain. From there the two men would head for the complex believed to be experimenting in genetic engineering. Illegal genetic engineering.

As he gathered his things to leave, he couldn't quite shake the feeling that things would never be the same.


TWO WEEKS LATER:
RESEARCH CENTER

Dorian and Klaus eased past the security. It seemed a little too easy, and it made Dorian nervous. As they crept down the corridor those fears proved founded. The hall began to flood with some kind of knock-out gas.

"Oh bloody hell." Dorian began to search frantically for a way out, and then it happened. The wall forty feet down was blown away, and in a manner that reminded Dorian of the scene from the Man in the Iron Mask, two slim figures stepped from the smoke. One was lean, blond, and leggy. Her dancing blue eyes held a menacing gleam.

But it was the brunette that made both men freeze. She was standing just in front of the other girl. Blood dripped down her right arm in slow drops. The make-shift bandage did a passable job staunching the flow. But her eyes... Those green eyes held the madness of too many battles.

Those wild green eyes turned to the men on the floor and she spoke.

"Get out of here. The charges will go off in ten minutes." She turned to leave, the blond with her when Dorian gained his wits and spoke.

"Wait! Who are you?"

There was no answer as the two faded into the smoke and shadows. Klaus shook himself free of the odd paralysis and gathered a small sample of the blood the dark girl left on the floor. Then, as the first explosion rocked the center, they ran for it.


ONE MILE AWAY:

"Think they made it out?"

"Yes. They are too strong to die like that."

"They saw our faces Claudia."

"I know. We'll have to be careful. We cannot afford to be found, not now."

"Let's go home."


ONE MONTH LATER:
OFFICE OF MAJOR EBERBACH

Klaus and Dorian sat in silence as they looked over the information from the blood tests. It was sketchy, but...

"We need to find them."

"I found a bit of information Major. The names they are using are Claudia and Dorene. They are living as advanced college students in Japan. But I wasn't able to find any other information on them. It's like they were born full grown in Japan!"

"Where are they?"

"Nerima district. Apparently it is a rather odd place in its' own right. No one noticed them, or even was able to give me much information."

Dorian handed Klaus a set of photos. Claudia's hair had been bleached and dyed an icy blue color. Both girls wore sunglasses and denim jackets. Claudia was dressed a bit flamboyantly with a pair of silk wrap-pants. The flames painted on them wound around her hips and thighs. Under that was a pair of black stockings. A nearly sheer black halter top was tied to a chainmail choker of silver hearts. Low healed black boots completed the disguise.

Dorene had colored her hair a mousy brown. She wore faded jeans and a cotton shirt the color of ivory. Comfortable hiking boots shod her feet. She was a far cry from the golden wild-child they had searched for.

"They hide in plain sight. Very good."

"Look at the next set of photos Major."

He shuffled the pictures and froze. The blue haired girl was leaning down to listen to a dark haired boy. Dorene tickled a blond boy standing near her. The boys were mirror images of Klaus and Dorian at the age.

"What the hell?"

"I think we found the reason why they wanted the blow up that center Darling."

"We have to find them. Before someone else does."

It was easy enough to get time off. He had more vacation time saved than any other agent in NATO. It was simply a matter of telling his Chief, then giving a secure number to both A and Z. He told them to call if Russia invaded.

Then he vanished.

Two days later he met with Dorian, just outside of Akina. It was a good enough place to start their search and surveillance. Finding them was surprisingly easy, but it was also obvious why no one challenged this place. Nerima had a low crime rate for an obvious reason. In fact the Yakuza avoided the bustling neighborhood as though it spelled certain doom!

The two girls were careful to either escort the boys to their advanced classes at Furikan, or make sure they walked with others. The girls rarely spoke of private matters outside of their home. The two boys were different.

"This sucks Wolf."

"I know Casher, but what choice do we have? Dory and Clau-chan were spotted trashing that cess pool. If we get caught..."

"It's back to the gene-pens. Fuck that Wolf, I'll eat my gun first."

"I know. I made Claudia promise to never let them take me back alive either."

"We live fucked up lives."

"Yes. Now for a more pleasant thought, how much bank do we have?"

What followed was a smattering of technical jargon about CD's and Money Markets. The gist was, 'The onna's don't need to hit any pit fights for a while.'

"I don't like it when they do that."

"I know Wolf, but it's the only money source that won't leave a trail to us."

Klaus met Dorian's stunned eyes. "This ends now."


CHAPTER TWO:
LEARNING TO TRUST

It took only two weeks to prepare. They dug up every scrap of information they could find on the children, but it was still frightfully little. They observed the girls at college and the boys in high school. It was hard not to just jump in when it looked as though they were danger.

At one point Klaus had his gun in hand when a girl with short black hair nearly struck Cash with a hammer of some type. The blow never landed due to an enraged Dory kicking the thing out of her hands. The sleek former blond picked the other girl up by the throat and snarled, "If you ever endanger my little brother with your lack of self control I will kill you. There will be no warning for you are no warrior and deserve none. I will find you and break you into pieces too small to fix. Now apologize to Cash's sempai for your poor behavior and my little brother for nearly striking him and get the hell out of my home."

The older boy tried to apologize as well but Dory waved it off, "You did nothing wrong. You're here teaching my brother self defense, she ought to know better than to trespass in someone's home and start issuing death threats."

The rest of the lessons went well and thing calmed once more. As the days passed it became obvious that the girls did everything possible to protect the two boys. They acted as surrogate parent, guardian, and big sister. The strain was beginning to tell on them.

It was then that Klaus and Dorian chose to make their move. They waited for a sunny Saturday morning and made their way inside the small home the children shared. The quartet was sitting on the back porch eating breakfast.

Klaus cleared his throat to get their attention. Then they watched as Claudia shoved the boys behind her. Dory stepped forward and to the side, also placing herself in front of the two little ones. Death glowed from their eyes.

"What do you want?" Claudia's voice was as icy as the color of her hair.

"Claudia..." Klaus' voice was gentle, like nothing Dorian had ever heard before. "You know who we are?"

"Yes, but what do you want."

Klaus had rehearsed this moment in his mind for the last few weeks, but now none of his speeches came to mind. All he could say was, "To be a father to my children. That is all we wish."

They were at an impasse. Claudia was in a position to kick Klaus' head off if she took him as a threat. Dory had one of her wickedly sharp little blades in hand... But it was Cash that broke the stalemate.

With a smile that was pure liquid sunshine, he slipped from behind the girls and walked to Dorian. The small boy looked up at Dorian for a moment, then held out his arms. The Earl was more than a little shocked, but lifted the boy.

He held Cash at eye level as the child searched his eyes. Then, with that sunny smile in place he chirped, "We can trust them. They want to love us."

The tension drained from Claudia as she slowly relaxed against the support post of the porch. Klaus was saved from saying anything as Wolf slammed into his legs with a bright smile. The boys were young enough yet to easily accept their fathers into their lives.

Dory was willing to accept Dorian as well and the next few days showed father and daughter sharing confidences. Dorian was very blunt about what he did for a living and his romantic preferences. Dory merely shrugged and muttered, "Whatever floats your boat Da."

Claudia was a bit harder to win over. Oh she wanted to believe, he had no doubts on that score. She just didn't know how to relax her guard anymore. Even deathly tired from her years as protector of their little clan, her first concern was providing cover for the others.

She and Klaus sat down each night to build a good cover story as well as gathering the documents they would need to support it. Klaus would spend the afternoons playing with Wolf, something his own father never did, and the night planning with Claudia.

They finally decided to split up for a time. Dory and Cash would accompany Dorian to his house in Bonn before traveling to the North Downs estate, while Klaus took his children to the castle. It would take time to fully forge the trust needed to be a family, but they were willing to try.


CHAPTER THREE:
WHAT A FATHER SHOULD BE

Klaus woke with a gasp, straining to hear what woke him. He reached for his gun and it came again. A soft sound of despair and pleading denial. It came from the suite the Claudia had claimed for her own. He slipped from his bed and tucked his gun into the waistband of his pant.

He rounded the corner to fin Wolf standing by her door. Klaus put a hand on his son's shoulder as he knelt down. The boy's eyes were hazy with sleep.

"Papa?"

"Go back to sleep Wolf. I'll see to Claudia."

"Yes papa."

Klaus walked the child back to his rooms and tucked him in. Once his son was settled, Klaus headed for his daughter's rooms.

Claudia had kicked off her blankets. Her face twisted with pain, anger, or a mix of the two. She was reliving a mission gone wrong, Klaus had no doubt. He could make out a few broken words and phrases. He spoke in what he hoped was a soothing tone.

"Claudia... Claudia Helene... Wake up Daughter. It is safe, the mission is over. You and Wolf are home..."

When it seemed to have no effect, Klaus took a chance and drew her into his arms. Her fist lashed out and landed a glancing blow on his cheek. He blinked the stars from his vision as he held her tight.

"Shh child. It is Papa. Hush now. Wolf is safe, you are safe, you are home. Shh... I will not let them hurt either of you."

Claudia calmed slowly, her breathing ragged. Tears blurred her vision and she turned away, ashamed of showing weakness before him.

Klaus stiffen and tightened his embrace. Holding her eyes in the dim light with his own, he spoke.

"Nein Claudy. Don't turn away. There is no shame in crying."

"But..."

"Shh... Let it go my child. You were strong long enough. Let me be your strength now my daughter. I will take care of everything."

So the girl, forced by pain and strife, to grow up hard and fast, held her father tight. Desperate to absorb his strength, for she had no more of her own. The shivers stopped and drifted off to sleep.

Klaus held her gently in the silence of the twilight and marveled at how his life had changed. He and Claudia had concocted a cover story. Birth records, marriage papers all forged. His children were legitimate, there would be no slurs at either child.

And neither would be sent away to school. He would be the last Eberbach raised like that. Alone and unloved, with the weight of family honor heavy on his shoulders. If anyone objected... Too damn bad. They were his children and he would raise them as he saw fit.

Klaus felt himself drift off to sleep dimly aware when, an hour later, Wolf snuggled into bed with them.

Dominic found them like that the next morning. Startled was the word for his reaction. But he backed quietly from the room and retreated to the kitchens. Who was that in bed with the Major? Should he call the Colonel?

As the door clicked shut, two pair of green eyes snapped open. Klaus noted that Claudia was curled on her side and Wolf was tucked between them. He glanced down to see Claudia awake and aware. Wolf was making soft fussy sounds as he clung to slumber.

"Stay in bed, I'll speak with Dominic."

"Yes Papa."

He eased from the bed and watched with a rather un-major-like smile as his son burrowed close. As he left the room and stepped into the hallway her heard his daughter sing softly.

"Yappa-pa Yappa-pa, don't know what to do. My heart is not a game it's Mah Jhong to you..."

He moved quickly to the kitchen and found his butler staring into a cup of coffee. It was time to see if their carefully crafted cover story would hold up.

"Dominic."

"Master... Wha..."

Okay, time to be very blunt. "They are my children. Their mother, my wife, died recently. They will be living with me now."

"Wife?"

"Ja, she was raised in Japan and was a NOC agent." (NOC= No Official Cover, think Mission Impossible)

"Why didn't you tell your father?"

"It would have placed the children in danger. I have more enemies that Yuriko did. Better my father be disappointed in me than to bury my children."

"And now?" Dominic's voice was much softer, and understanding. Heinz would just have to deal with little development! But to have children about again...

"Yuriko was killed in the line of duty. All of her records were purged. Claudia and Wolf are old enough now to take precautions. The castle is the best place for them now. Dominic?"

"Yes?"

"My children are none one else's business. I will not hear anything about them being sent away to school. They will stay here."

"It will be pleasant to have little ones about once more."

Klaus nodded. "Claudia Helene is sixteen. Christian Heinz is nine and answers to the nickname of Wolf. They will often be visited by their friends Dorene Scarlette and Benedict James. They are Lord Gloria's children."

Klaus grinned inwardly. This would put a different spin on the thief's visits to Klaus.

'And you can accept Dorian's presence without bluster.' A snide little inner voice chimed.

Klaus ruthlessly stomped the voice into submission as Claudia and Wolf came down the back stairs to the kitchen. The boy was wearing a bulky sweater and a pair of khaki cargo pants. The thick soled hiking boots made soft clomping sounds as he walked. He was neatly groomed and bright eyes.

Claudia was another story. She wore a pair of low slung hip huggers that were well worn and faded. Ragged holes at the knees showed off smooth tanned skin. Her shirt was a long sleeved polo with the kanji for 'Hentai-Onna-Gumi' down the front. The back was silk screened with the phrase:
*"The world is a cold and lonely place... Let's Warm It Up."
-Christy 'Warped Mirrors' Chapter 4*

(These are actual shirts and Syx is ordering one. They can be found at Mel and Christy's Death and the Dragon site )

"Good morning Poppa."

"Guten Morgen Wolf, Claudia."

"Morning Otousan."

Introductions were made as the small group sat down for brunch. Claudia was impressed with the butler's recovery of composure. The older man seemed to care for her father, and that earned him a lot of brownie points.

For Klaus, he was thinking on the changes in his life. The children and his 'marriage' solved several old problems, and created a few new ones. Could he protect them from his enemies as well as aid them against theirs?


CHAPTER FOUR:
BECOMING A FAMILY

Colonel Heinz von dem Eberbach fought back a sigh as he watched the landscape through the car window. He admitted to himself that he was an old man. And lonely. Oh there were plenty of women out there. Beautiful women with eyes like dollar signs, who were young enough to be he daughters.

And his son was still unmarried, childless, and estranged. He rubbed a hand over his face. Over the years he had come to realize that he knew nothing of his only child. Klaus gave him the dutiful respect that he deserved, but there was no closeness.

He watched as he associates introduced their grown children and longed for the affection they had. But it was too late. He had destroyed that bridge so completely that he was certain it could never be rebuilt.

So instead he tried to find his son a wife that could grant him the happiness that he deserved. And now... Now the vultures were circling. Various cousins were making snide comments that Klaus would never marry or produce an heir. That perhaps a new heir should be chosen.

'Damn them. Klaus is a good son. He is the only choice as the heir. ' They would never speak out to his son's face. Klaus' temper and fighting skills prevented that, but he was so tired of the catty whispers at his child's back.

He did not look forward to these session of badgering his son, but he did not want his only child to live his life so utterly alone. He wasn't sure how long he would stay at the castle, it held so many memories of his beautiful Katrina...

He entered the castle, dimly noting the look of dismay on Dominic's face. His son, however, looked more than a little upset. Which triggered a gleeful thought in the older man, 'Could he have a guest? A female guest?'

Klaus greeted his father calmly and tried to come up with a reason to either get the man out of the house before the children came down, or...

The silence was shattered by a gleeful cry of, "Release the Vorpal Bunnies!"

Klaus looked up as Wolf appeared at the top of the stairs, in his hands he clutched 'Mallet-SAMA'. It was a three foot long war hammer constructed out of cushion foam, one inch PVC pipe, pipe insulation, and gaffer tape colored brown, black, and silver.

The boy flipped onto the railing and surfed down the stairs with no concern for the grey hair he had just given his father. As he neared the landing he jumped down, landing with a neat backflip.

"Papa can I go visit Cash?" Wolf looked up at him with big 'chibi-eyes' that said, 'I'm innocent and you got to love me so give in now.'

Parental radar engaged, subject Wolf. Probability of mischief created, ninety percent. Proceed with caution. "Why do you want to go all the way to North Downs?"

"Cause your butler's eye is twitching... He might need some therapy, Neechan is locked up in the study plottin to take over the world, and I haven't given Uncle 'Roica any grey hairs yet." The boy smiled in an enchanting manner.

"CHRISTIAN HEINZ VON DEM EBERBACH!!!!!"

"And neechan just realized all her pocky is gone. Meep"

Klaus watched his daughter stalk down the stairs with long legged strides. She had murder and mayhem gleaming in her green eyes.

"Claudia, what are you doing?"

"Gonna make myself an only child, won't take too long. C'mere Wolf."

"Nuh-uh! You're gonna deal pain!"

"Claudia don't kill your' brother."

"Yes Papa. I'm just gonna hurt him a bit."

"Klaus who are these children?"

The major sighed internally and turned to face his father. "Sir these are my children, Claudia Helene and Christian Heinz. Clau-chan, Wolf, this is your grandfather Colonel Heinz Deiter von dem Eberbach."

Klaus was saved from further questions by a ringing phone. As only a handful of people had that number, he turned on the speaker-phone. "Eberbach."

A low melodic british voice came out of the speaker. "I now understand why the Bear Cub is hard to intimidate Major... Why fear gunfire when you have a moody teenage daughter at home? "

Klaus settled into a chair, a cigarette placed in his lips. "What happened?" He was clearly enjoying the fact that Claudia and Wolf seemed better behaved than Dory.

"Oh let's see. First the little darling decided that six am was a good time to be up and promptly woke the whole bloody castle with her music. She has claimed the north ballroom as her studio for dancing. I was set to ask her to turn it down when Cash stopped me."

At this Wolf piped up, "Angry woman music?"

"Yes that was what he said, care to explain it Wolf?"

"Today is the 28th... That time of the month." The boy nodded with mock severity.

"Well Cash grabbed Jamesie and vanished to play merry hell with the stock markets. My cowardly gang bolted for the ton. And I'm trapped in my castle with a moody homicidal daughter that knows how to kill an armed KGB agent with nothing more than a bloody popsicle stick!"

Claudia giggled, "Just throw her a few boxes of good German chocolate and a chew toy. She ought to not hurt you too badly."

"Oh thank you Claudia Helene... " Sarcasm dripped from his voice. "And what kind of chew toy do you suggest my dear?"

"A Bishounen!"

"Christian Heinz You Are Too Young To Know About That!"

Klaus snorted with laughter. "Bring them up Dorian. Claudia and Dory can hide in the west wing while the boys play on the grounds."

"We have a mission then?"

"Not yet."

The message was clear though. He expected one shortly and it would be better if the children were in the same place. That way if something went wrong they could function as smoothly as a team.

"Very well... Now how to tell my darling first born without being mauled... "

"Uncle Dorian do you have an intercom?"

"'Course dear girl."

"Patch me through."

"Done lovely."

"AT~TEN~SHUN! Objective: Schloss Eberbach, ETA: 0600, acknowledge."

"Accepted."

There as a click as the line switched back to the private phone. Dorian sounded a bit startled, "Amazing... "

"It's a gift. Now if you will excuse me... I need to get back to mauling Wolf."

"AYIAHHHH!"